FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By rellenburg
I've got a few pics I'd like to share and get some opinions on what's going on. Some look like they may be contaminated, but others may be callus? This is my first round of explants that were taken on 10-22-12. I am color blind and new to this so I'm trying to understand what I have, thanks.

#1 This one looks like contamination, but I've not seen it look slimy like this
also #1

#2 ??
also #2??

#3??
By rellenburg
Yeah, I had contamination and callus on my hibiscus explants, but it was easy for me to identify. It was white fuzzy stuff. So the slimy stuff in #1 and the bumpy stuff in #2 is also contamination? Hmmm, anyone have any more pics of beginning contamination they're willing to share in this thread? I would appreciate it. As I mentioned, my colorblindness does not allow me to see the "red" you guys speak of as tissue is about to form callus. All of your pics that you mention this on just look black or brown to me. Thanks.
By Matt
rellenburg wrote:As I mentioned, my colorblindness does not allow me to see the "red" you guys speak of as tissue is about to form callus.
I don't usually see the red coloration. It's usually a change in texture or swelling of the tissue that allows me to know when the culture is going to "take". For Dionaea, it usually comes down to two things:
1) The explant sits there and does nothing and eventually turns black.
2) The explan stays green, begins to swell and starts making tiny plantlets. This occurs about 6 to 8 weeks after initialization if the explant is part of a leaf. It can take longer (much longer sometimes) with flower stalks.
By rellenburg
Ok, thanks. I'll be going for round 2 tomorrow. Maybe I'll have better luck. However I do still have a few explants left from this round.
By rellenburg
Figured I'd post a pic or 2 to illustrate Matt's comment on callus and contamination not being mutually exclusive. These cultures have both, unfortunately.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!