FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By swerfer
Hi,

I was wondering if flower stalks forms callus in the dark. I have trouble keeping sterile flower stalks green and fresh. Due to the hot weather and keeping them on culture in my growth cabinet (which also produce some heat of the lamps), they decompose faster. I have some stalks in culture in a locker at work, where the temperature is more constant (20ºC). But there is no light, so does callus form in the dark or should I introduce them into the light?

Youri
By Matt
We had an unusually cool spring here in Ashland this year and I was fortunate enough to get most of my cultures started then. But I too lost a lot that I did later in the summer to heat. It definitely speeds up decomposition. That was one of the biggest things I learned this year.

I don't know if callus will form in the dark or not, but I'd guess that it would. I keep some of my initialization cultures in "darker" areas, and they form callus, but they're not in complete darkness.

If you find that cultures will form callus in complete darkness, post back here and let us know, OK?
By jkochuni
Callus can form in the dark. I had a culture that became contaminated, and placed it back in my laundry room for cleaning. Three months later when I went to clean it I discovered it had produced calluses.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!