callus in the dark

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.
swerfer

callus in the dark

by swerfer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 am

Hi,

I was wondering if flower stalks forms callus in the dark. I have trouble keeping sterile flower stalks green and fresh. Due to the hot weather and keeping them on culture in my growth cabinet (which also produce some heat of the lamps), they decompose faster. I have some stalks in culture in a locker at work, where the temperature is more constant (20ºC). But there is no light, so does callus form in the dark or should I introduce them into the light?

Youri

Matt
Site Admin

Re: callus in the dark

by Matt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:08 pm

We had an unusually cool spring here in Ashland this year and I was fortunate enough to get most of my cultures started then. But I too lost a lot that I did later in the summer to heat. It definitely speeds up decomposition. That was one of the biggest things I learned this year.

I don't know if callus will form in the dark or not, but I'd guess that it would. I keep some of my initialization cultures in "darker" areas, and they form callus, but they're not in complete darkness.

If you find that cultures will form callus in complete darkness, post back here and let us know, OK?
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

jkochuni

Re: callus in the dark

by jkochuni » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Callus can form in the dark. I had a culture that became contaminated, and placed it back in my laundry room for cleaning. Three months later when I went to clean it I discovered it had produced calluses.

Return to Tissue Culture