FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
im trying to find out what the TDS of my tap water is. during the summer we can go without any rain for a month and in the winter its gets so cold that everything freezes (tried to get some water from my water barrel but it was solid ice). so i was wondering if my tap water would be safe to use, but i do not own a TDS measurer. but i suppose that there must also be some way to calculate it right? i do know that my tap water is 8,3ºdH and 7,72PH.
By Aozora
thanks thats what i was looking for, i know its too high for fly traps, but is it also too high for a sarracenia? or maybe drosera?
By tommyr
Aozora wrote:thanks thats what i was looking for, i know its too high for fly traps, but is it also too high for a sarracenia? or maybe drosera?
It's too high for any CP.
tommyr liked this
By Aozora
tommyr wrote:
Aozora wrote:thanks thats what i was looking for, i know its too high for fly traps, but is it also too high for a sarracenia? or maybe drosera?
oh i see, thats a shame. though i read somewhere on this forum that nepenthes can take around 300ppm.
By erikHIplants
Aozora wrote:
tommyr wrote:
oh i see, thats a shame. though i read somewhere on this forum that nepenthes can take around 300ppm.
People like the general rule of thumb of less than 50 ppm. It's not worth the life of your plants to risk it either way.
By Aozora
People like the general rule of thumb of less than 50 ppm. It's not worth the life of your plants to risk it either way.
totally true, i just hope that i'll manage to collect enough rainwater in the spring to last for the entire summer :p
By tommyr
Aozora wrote:
totally true, i just hope that i'll manage to collect enough rainwater in the spring to last for the entire summer :p
Distilled water works well also. Also reverse osmosis water.
By Aozora
tommyr wrote:
Aozora wrote:
Distilled water works well also. Also reverse osmosis water.
i know but that would end up being quite expensive, those bottles are sold for €0,50 at 1L, and my outside container is 50L.
By Jaws
Reverse Osmosis water should be cheap from an aquatic pet shop, it is in UK.
By Aozora
i have a full barrel of water at the moment (thanks to lots of rain the last few days), but i was wondering if its possible for rain water to gain more TDS over time.

i collect the rainwater in a kiddy pool which i bought for my dog, but she doesnt use it, she rather jumps in my fish pond ...
but the water i collect in the kiddy pool often stays in there for a couple of days, as i only put it in the barrels if there is a decent amount of rain in it.
By tommyr
Aozora wrote:i have a full barrel of water at the moment (thanks to lots of rain the last few days), but i was wondering if its possible for rain water to gain more TDS over time.

i collect the rainwater in a kiddy pool which i bought for my dog, but she doesnt use it, she rather jumps in my fish pond ...
but the water i collect in the kiddy pool often stays in there for a couple of days, as i only put it in the barrels if there is a decent amount of rain in it.
As long as not a lot of crap falls in it it should be fine. Buy a TDS meter, they're only about $15. Then you can test it.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!