FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Recently I acquired a Byblis Aquatica from a nursery. When it arrived, it was in decent enough shape though the plant was leggy and fairly light deprived. Since I've owned it, I've intended to harvest seeds for a do-over. Also as it is an annual, I want to be sure to have the means to propagate and continue to enjoy this species. Even as it stands, it is a fascinating and beautiful plant. The nodes are growing closer together and it has colored up into a very nice shade of reddish purple.

Today I was blessed with my first pod of seeds! Its hard to say if these are viable or not. Ive sown some of them in the mother pot with the hope of them replacing the original plants and saved some to experiment with GA3. Im hoping to have some nice byblis sprouts in a few weeks!

Thanks to @Fishman for all of the helpful info and knowledge of this amazing species. If successful, I hope to also contribute some packs to the seed bank and share this plant with others.
Attachments:
20200908_185510.jpg
20200908_185510.jpg (735.75 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
DesertLlama liked this
By Fishman
Glad I could help out there, and now you will have some fresh material to work with :) . For an experiment if you are into that sort of thing (as I am), shoot me a message one day and I'll help you save that plant. This can be done rather nicely as I have kept a couple of particular B.aquatica for going on four years now thru cuttings and that sort of thing. Here's one I did some time back.
Attachments:
LogoLicious_20200917_101806.png
LogoLicious_20200917_101806.png (2.61 MiB) Viewed 2024 times
Apollyon, Ben Goudge liked this
By Fishman
That cutting in the photo above, was later split into two plants. Here they are a couple of months later. Good luck with the seeds you have harvested, and congrats!
Attachments:
LogoLicious_20200917_102409_compress74.jpg
LogoLicious_20200917_102409_compress74.jpg (919.45 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Apollyon, Ben Goudge liked this
By Apollyon
Fishman wrote:Glad I could help out there, and now you will have some fresh material to work with :) . For an experiment if you are into that sort of thing (as I am), shoot me a message one day and I'll help you save that plant. This can be done rather nicely as I have kept a couple of particular B.aquatica for going on four years now thru cuttings and that sort of thing. Here's one I did some time back.
Absolutely. I've been experimenting with pollination since the last time around and it appears that the buds are swelling so hopefully I got that locked down. When the new seeds germinate, I'll likely take you up on that because I do like the plant and want to see it at it's best potential. Is it true these roots are too fragile to repot? I work with bonsai and some have very fragile roots like bougainvilleas. I found that it has more to do with patience.

P.S. Amazing plants as always. I'm pretty stoked about the variety pack of byblis seeds, particularly that maroon one. I have a place set up for it already :lol:
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!