FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Oatmeal
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? How long does it take for a seed to grow? Does a seed require much more attention?
By Hayden
Growing seeds requires a lot of attention, if your a busy person like me this requires getting up even earlier in the morning and refilling water etc when you get home.

When you grow a seed you will always get one of a kind, if you buy a full plant it will be that type eg a Dracula. The dracula can be cloned via tissue culture or leaf pullings.

You can clone your own seedlings too, but they have to have something special about them to be worth the hassle.

For a new person id suggest buying more plants first, you can clone them and alsorts. Seeds arnt the only way to get a new plant!
By Veronis
Start with a full plant. Growing from seeds requires years (about 5 years to get a mature plant) and they'll be too small to even feed for about the first 2 years. A 1-year-old flytrap is about the size of a dime (and that's the *whole* plant).

After your plant is settled and healthy/growing you can look into doing a leaf pulling and trying to grow plantlets that way (1-2 years for a full size plant from a pulling; rarely but sometimes 3 years for slower growers). If you decide you really like caring for flytraps and have one or more established plants, then you can look into trying your hand at growing them from seed.

That's my recommendation.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!