FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Hello and welcome!

I lived in Colorado for 2 years back in 2007 through 2009 and really didn't grow much differently than I do now. As @Adrien mentioned, reading through the articles on FlytrapCare.com would be your best bet. I wrote almost all of it down there when I was living in Boulder, Colorado, actually!

Basically, breaking it down to the simplest and shortest instructions:
  • Outdoors in full sun
  • Always keep the soil damp, but not soaking wet for too long
  • Water with very low mineral water, which must be either collected rainwater, distilled water, or reverse osmosis water. Some very lucky areas of the country have low mineral tap water, but that's very rare. To find out if you could use your tap water, you'll need a TDS meter. If your tap water tests under 50ppm, it is generally considered safe to use but the lower the mineral content, the better
  • Move them indoors after the first frost/freeze. When I lived in Colorado, my plants spent the winter on an unheated attached south-facing porch with lots and lots of windows. If you don't have such a location where they can get good sunlight, the fridge dormancy method is another option:
    https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-t ... -tutorial/
  • Flytraps aren't terribly picky about pots but it is best to avoid unglazed clay pots. Ideal pots are anything that is insulated and 4 inches deep or more. The deeper the better. More information here:
    https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-t ... ontainers/
Hope that helps!
Supercazzola liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!