FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I didn't want to pollute the Seed Bank forum with this as Dean has plenty to do weeding (get it?...weeding!!!<HAR HAR HAR!!!!>) through all the requests without me throwing a dumb question out there. :mrgreen: (Ok, so the "weeding" bit was a little corny...and with all these comedians getting slapped these days...).

Ok, so I ordered the above "Mixed Capes" from the seed bank. Figuring, "Ok, it's a bunch of mixed capes". But, what the heck is "mixed capes"? Seems somebody might have told me but...I've done slept since then. :| Is this simply a mixture of D. Capensis seeds from different growers rather than capensis seeds sourced directly from South Africa? I really don't expect to be getting cape seeds directly from SA, if ya know what I mean, just trying to figure out the "mixed" part.

The main reason I'm asking is that *every* *single* *seed* germinated and is growing!!! The several pots of drosera that I've started in the past and now have never germinated this well!!! It's really notable (for me)!!! I'm tickled with them so far!!! Definitely viable, vigorous seeds in that lot!!!! :D Thanks Chef and entourage!!!! :D
By Sundews69
It's a mixed variety of different color varieties and location datas. For example: there is capensis "red", capensis " alba/albino", and there is capensis "large form" which is thought to be "Matroosberg Pass", a capensis with location data. I believe there are also more, but you'd need to ask Chef.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
That's about what I had in mind that they were. I think something must of been down in the peat growling at'em 'cause they jumped out of the peat and sand so quick like something was after'em!!! :mrgreen: :lol:
Sundews69 liked this
By ChefDean
Sundews69 wrote:It's a mixed variety of different color varieties and location datas. For example: there is capensis "red", capensis " alba/albino", and there is capensis "large form" which is thought to be "Matroosberg Pass", a capensis with location data. I believe there are also more, but you'd need to ask Chef.
Pretty much that, but the original post is post409714.html#p409714
By evenwind
If you're really lucky, you might get a red cape - with a yellow 'S'.
Intheswamp, Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
evenwind wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:31 pm If you're really lucky, you might get a red cape - with a yellow 'S'.
:mrgreen:
By Intheswamp
@evenwind , I think I might have a good chance of the red cape with an 'S' on it!!! I count 49 seedlings in these two pots (I used RAW images to look close with). I can't remember if I held back any seeds for a later planting or not (my stashed seeds are in cold-storage). But, it seems like a pretty good germination rate! :D

Now to see if I can grow them to the maturity!!! :)
Attachments:
Mixed_Capes_IMG_8688a_red_circled_sprouts (Custom).jpg
Mixed_Capes_IMG_8688a_red_circled_sprouts (Custom).jpg (811.51 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Mixed_Capes_IMG_8684a_red_circled (Custom).jpg
Mixed_Capes_IMG_8684a_red_circled (Custom).jpg (601.77 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
By evenwind
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:18 pm Now to see if I can grow them to the maturity!!! :)
Good work! 'Course, you're gonna need 49 pots...

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!