FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rassac
Hi guys,
Do i really need to feed my VFT blood worms ?
By DragonsEye
Nope. Especially if you put them outside for the summer, they'll catch their own dinners.

By Rassac
Thanks and how about the other sessions ?:p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
You don't need to feed them anything, just give them plenty of light. However, munching on bugs will help them grow faster and be more robust due to the nutrients derived from the creepy-crawley rather than relying solely on photosynthesis.
By Copper2
ChefDean wrote:You don't need to feed them anything, just give them plenty of light. However, munching on bugs will help them grow faster and be more robust due to the nutrients derived from the creepy-crawley rather than relying solely on photosynthesis.
I thought they use the nutrients from insects to photosynthesis, no?
By ChefDean
Copper2 wrote:
ChefDean wrote:You don't need to feed them anything, just give them plenty of light. However, munching on bugs will help them grow faster and be more robust due to the nutrients derived from the creepy-crawley rather than relying solely on photosynthesis.
No. Plants use sunlight and their cells containing chlorophyll to synthesize carbon dioxide and water into glucose and simple carbohydrates, but take in water and other nutrients from the soil via their roots. Because VFT's and other cp's grow in such nutrient poor or even zero nutrient environments, they have evolved carnivory to gain those nutrients. As a result of millions of years of evolution, cp roots have become almost nothing more than a water delivery system for them.
They can live on sunlight and water alone using photosynthesis and grow slowly, or eat bugs and grow faster by taking in nitrogen from the critters.
By Copper2
ChefDean wrote:
Copper2 wrote:
No. Plants use sunlight and their cells containing chlorophyll to synthesize carbon dioxide and water into glucose and simple carbohydrates, but take in water and other nutrients from the soil via their roots. Because VFT's and other cp's grow in such nutrient poor or even zero nutrient environments, they have evolved carnivory to gain those nutrients. As a result of millions of years of evolution, cp roots have become almost nothing more than a water delivery system for them.
They can live on sunlight and water alone using photosynthesis and grow slowly, or eat bugs and grow faster by taking in nitrogen from the critters.
Yeah, and nitrogen speeds up photosynthesis which is why they grow quicker right?
By ChefDean
Copper2 wrote:Yeah, and nitrogen speeds up photosynthesis which is why they grow quicker right?
I just did more research, and nitrogen is a component of chlorophyll, which is necessary for photosynthesis. So it looks like you're correct to a point. With more nitrogen from the bugs, more photosynthesis can occur.
I learned something new, thanks.
ChefDean liked this
By Artchic528
I find that a Venus flytrap placed outside does a great job in catching all the prey it needs, sometimes more than enough. Remember that wild flytaps don't have people walking around stuffing their traps with blood worms.

Flytaps actually secrete a sort of nectar in their traps to lure in victims. Think of it like bait, sending out pheromones that flies and the like find irresistable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Rassac
Thanks guys .... this was a real fun and helpful discussion!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Megmeg616
That depends, I keep mine in my room so they have no live food access I feed them bloodworms that have a little drop of water in them. I find these helpful and work pretty good they should be at every pet store I found mine in the fish section I hope this helps
By sbrooks
What got me fascinated by Venus Flytraps was watching them close and eat insects. But I have found that depriving the traps of food makes them much more colorful in time. An undisturbed, mature trap with no rotting carcass inside is a sight to behold.
By Fieldofscreams
I haven't had that experience.

This trap ate couple times before i took this picture.
By sbrooks
Wow, ate the carcasses, too. And then colored up afterward I'm sure. And, of course, showed no signs of losing any energy after two feedings. Because everyone who grows a lot of flytraps outside keeps track of things like that. I totally believe you. :roll:
By Fieldofscreams
Rain and wind washes them out. Mine are grown outside.

At the time I had to wait to get a good picture of the trap because everytime it would open back up it would catch something again.

If you look closely you can see a small remnant from the last thing it got.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!