FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
since i dont really have a good spot for my CP's outside, ive been keeping them under lights in the shed during winter.

under the verandah theres a cold draft and poor lighting
in the yard it gets good sunlight but will be battered by wind and rain.

i spotted this today, it was about 40 bucks. its cheap, has a tent pole type construction to it so its nice n simple, but a nice size for anyone who's got a small - medium size collection like i do.

it should enable me to put them outside next to the house and get natural dormancy but with wind and rain protection.
if it lasts to next summer ill probably leave the door open for max airflow, and throw some shade cloth over it so its more like a mini shade house during summer

49 x 69 x 160cm
(19 x 27 x 62 inch)

ill probably leave one of the zip's open just enough to give a little airflow from the bottom.
Attachments:
100_1656.jpg
100_1656.jpg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
By Oblivion
so it worked out well as a good, cheap, entry level CP g/house?

i did find the tendril hook on my nep's poked through the mesh racks, and got "fish hooked" if you moved the plants :o
so i cut a bit of shade cloth and tied it to the rack at a few points so the tendrils cant poke through the shade cloth and the pitchers have somwhere a bit better to sit.
By kaepora gaebora
it does look really good

I saw one of them in bunnings for the same price.

I think i might get it, do you think its worth it?
By Oblivion
kaepora gaebora wrote:it does look really good

I saw one of them in bunnings for the same price.

I think i might get it, do you think its worth it?

its incredibly simple. but thats kinda why i like it.
i think if you have a few plants and need a little cover like i did, then you'd be happy for the price you pay. (i think it was a measly 43 bucks?)

my large CP trough is quite heavy due to the weight of 50/50 silica sand/peat, so i put a board over the entire bottom shelf to distribute the weight better, and sat the trough on that. otherwise the shelf's bowed under the immense weight.
but for regular size pots it has no problems.
By Oblivion
some pics from today.

it appears that the capensis alba thats in its own pot, and also the cap' red thats in my trough are both turning seed?
they have a little pig tail with a cluster on them but no flowers.
whats the best way to harvest the seed? do you cut the stalk off at some point and harvest the whole pod, or wait for it to fall off or what?

the g/house does get a lot of moisture so i open it right up every afternoon. im going to try peg it open a little tomorrow.

i think the baby nep's have started growing pitchers? (both leaves right beneath the "P" on the word plant)

the cap alba has black seed

the g/house has caused my drosera's to really dew up heavily within about 2 days.

very front/centre of the trough, you can see Mr Chomp (slightly left) and Low Giant battling it out for biggest trap of the winter award ;) while shark tooth has died back to 1 trap and half a leaf, like the red dragons (far left end) :o

i really like the massive dormancy leaves on Fang (pictured close up) :D

the cap' red has early seeds that are still green and getting bigger.

even the drosera capensis Weedlings that i got free from linton are booming in growth. the little tiny one just appeared out of nowhere in some live sphag moss that i transplanted into my trough
By Oblivion
i got a couple more Sarracenia's last night from the ACPS.org.au meeting, and decided its time to give them a trough of their own.

so i removed most of the sar's from my VFT trough and put them in with the new sars, and ive left two gaps to add my Capensis red + alba in there.

The new sars are the one on the far left, and i divided the other into two plants and its the tall ones at the back.

then my original sars are "big red" in the centre, a white one on the far right end, and two plants that divided from a mother plant are up the rear with the wide dormancy leaves.

By afh928
I have one that i use as a propagation chamber, i keep all my seeds, seedlings, and pullings in it. :mrgreen:
By matadorjr
what's the usual temp inside this baby? ive seen them online but living in the "windy city" chicago, i dont want to see it get blown away

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!