FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ragoonaths
hi
i have seen balck dots on the folage of my vft is it because it is coming into dormancy or is it high humidity
thanks
By sterwick
They are both two very likely possibilities, but I am guessing it is dormancy because of the time of year, my VFT's folige is also going black, and many others are experiencing the same thing. But you did mention, on your other post, about the nursery affecting your VFT's 'biological clock'. But if it were high humidity, you would also see moulds and algae, can you?

Hope this helped. Regards, Stevo.
By Greenthumbs Garden
If you leave water on your leaves and the plant is in the sun it acts like a magnifying glass and damages the leaves
By goldslinger
If the plant is looking 'banana' like; kinda getting yellow with little black specs, then assume You have spider mites sucking the juice out of the leaves; especially if You see minute spiderweb matting around the crown area and such. Shake some leaves over white paper and smear the paper with your hand; if You see rust colored streaks, then spidermites.

It could be root health; are any roots protruding out of the bottom of the pot; if so, then repot to taller container.

Chlorinated water, or bad water quality, can also do it. A build up of salts; If You moved it to more light and less humidity, that also burns the older leaves; newer growth will be hardened, though. I'm grasping at straws, now.

so many things; I only named a few.

Gary
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!