FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By enderagent89
What are the best and most high in nitrate insects to feed your pitcher plant and what are the worst?
By xanthoparmelia
I assume you're referring to Sarracenia based on your previous posts.

Really not trying to be preachy with a response that doesn't specifically answer your question, but if your plants are outdoors (as they should be as much as possible), you should never have to provide supplemental nutrition.

Sarracenia structure, coloration and nectar should have no problems attracting the insects they are adapted to prey on. Let nature take it's course IMO. Other CPs cultivated indoors may benefit from supplemental feeding, but for Sarracenia, it's completely unnecessary.

If you insist on manually feeding your plants, you might want to research nutritional details on cultured feeder bugs used in the pet trade for reptiles, amphibians or arachnids. I'm assuming there's info out there on nutritional value.

For self-captured feeders, I'd avoid things that could chew through your pitchers like wasps (even though wasps are a natural prey). I might also stay away from critters that are big & rich with too many soft parts and not enough chitin (big caterpillars, slugs, etc.), to stave off premature pitcher rot. But these are complete guesses and i defer to other, more knowledgeable members to chime in.
xanthoparmelia liked this

My questions would be what and why? What are you g[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!