FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By isaacsbees
Posts:  83
Joined:  Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm
#377131
I've been looking on and off all day at various LED grow lights because my old Mars Hydro has a loud fan and is blurple. I'm looking for something in the $50-$200 range, with good efficiency, no noise, and most importantly, no blurple. Any recommendations?
By WONE
Posts:  9
Joined:  Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 pm
#377150
I would actually recommend going with Kingbrite on Alibaba.

https://kingbriteled.en.alibaba.com/pro ... 4dd3BVbO8r

The weed peeps around the interwebs say they are the best bang for buck. I was skeptical too, but after picking up a 320W 4000k quantum board. I've used it for starting my tomatoes and peppers, and wowza, I'm going to be a repeat customer. I haven't even turned the thing up past 60% with it sitting 24+ inches above canopy. I've since turned it down, since the tomatoes have vacated the grow tent.

Anyways, You'll probably want to stick with 240watt models since shipping is around 50-60ish dollars(the model I linked above).

I can add some pictures of some Venus Fly traps that I'm waking up in my grow tent.
User avatar
By Supercazzola
Location: 
Posts:  458
Joined:  Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:57 am
#377151
WONE wrote:I would actually recommend going with Kingbrite on Alibaba.
For that price wouldn’t a Mars Hydro TSW-1000 be a better choice?

Anyway, the OP asked about budget, so would something like the yescom 225 white be a choice?
User avatar
By isaacsbees
Posts:  83
Joined:  Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm
#377153
Supercazzola wrote:
WONE wrote:I would actually recommend going with Kingbrite on Alibaba.
For that price wouldn’t a Mars Hydro TSW-1000 be a better choice?

Anyway, the OP asked about budget, so would something like the yescom 225 white be a choice?
I ended up buying a TS 1000 with the dimmer and daisy chaining (in case I want to expand later). I've noticed in some of your older posts that you own one. How has it held up for you? Does it put off lots of heat?
Supercazzola liked this
By WONE
Posts:  9
Joined:  Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 pm
#377184
Supercazzola wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 am
WONE wrote:I would actually recommend going with Kingbrite on Alibaba.
For that price wouldn’t a Mars Hydro TSW-1000 be a better choice?

Anyway, the OP asked about budget, so would something like the yescom 225 white be a choice?
Well looks like he decided on a Mars Hydro, but here are my additional 2 cents.

In my head when he said $50-200 range I figured he'd want the best he could afford. The Kingbrite uses components that are top of the line vs whatever the heck Marshydro uses on their budget line. Samsung 301h diodes and Meanwell driver with a dimmer. More light per watt, 90 more watts, and the components are quality all for 40ish more dollars after shipping.


Also that Yescom 225 is questionable, I'd rather someone go with a Sansi bulb than that thing.
User avatar
By Nepenthes0260
Posts:  1090
Joined:  Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 am
#377197
My favorites are Spider Farmer SF1000D and simple, cheap Costco shop lights :lol:. The SF1000Ds are very intense and are a great price for the quality. They were getting my Drosera so red I had to lift them up! Costco shop lights are definitely less intense but for $20 they're well worth it.
Attachments:
Sarr seedlings growing under shop lights
Sarr seedlings growing under shop lights
IMG_1768.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1072 times
ultramafica x spat grown under SF1000D
ultramafica x spat grown under SF1000D
IMG_1779.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1072 times
Supercazzola liked this
User avatar
By Supercazzola
Location: 
Posts:  458
Joined:  Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:57 am
#377199
WONE wrote: Well looks like he decided on a Mars Hydro, but here are my additional 2 cents.

In my head when he said $50-200 range I figured he'd want the best he could afford. The Kingbrite uses components that are top of the line vs whatever the heck Marshydro uses on their budget line. Samsung 301h diodes and Meanwell driver with a dimmer. More light per watt, 90 more watts, and the components are quality all for 40ish more dollars after shipping.


Also that Yescom 225 is questionable, I'd rather someone go with a Sansi bulb than that thing.
I like my marshydro so much I got rid of the 1000 model and upgraded to the 2000 since I got a bigger grow tent.

I’m not saying your advice was bad in any way, just that it really comes down to how someone wants to use it. For example, if you’re just lighting up a few plants on a rack for a quarantine area, maybe a cheaper one would be ok, even if it is a yescom. For some folks $30 is a lot of money, for others it’s disposable...
Also, some folks like to buy something just because it’s on a storefront on Amazon, versus Ali ...
But thanks for your input, because I wouldn’t have learned about kingbrite if you didn’t reply.
WONE liked this
User avatar
By Supercazzola
Location: 
Posts:  458
Joined:  Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:57 am
#377200
isaacsbees wrote:I ended up buying a TS 1000 with the dimmer and daisy chaining (in case I want to expand later). I've noticed in some of your older posts that you own one. How has it held up for you? Does it put off lots of heat?
Yes, a lot of heat when full blast, but you could locate the drivers off of the light, and that helps with the heat if you’re putting them inside a closed area like a grow tent.
User avatar
By isaacsbees
Posts:  83
Joined:  Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm
#377201
Supercazzola wrote:
WONE wrote: Well looks like he decided on a Mars Hydro, but here are my additional 2 cents.

In my head when he said $50-200 range I figured he'd want the best he could afford. The Kingbrite uses components that are top of the line vs whatever the heck Marshydro uses on their budget line. Samsung 301h diodes and Meanwell driver with a dimmer. More light per watt, 90 more watts, and the components are quality all for 40ish more dollars after shipping.


Also that Yescom 225 is questionable, I'd rather someone go with a Sansi bulb than that thing.
I like my marshydro so much I got rid of the 1000 model and upgraded to the 2000 since I got a bigger grow tent.

I’m not saying your advice was bad in any way, just that it really comes down to how someone wants to use it. For example, if you’re just lighting up a few plants on a rack for a quarantine area, maybe a cheaper one would be ok, even if it is a yescom. For some folks $30 is a lot of money, for others it’s disposable...
Also, some folks like to buy something just because it’s on a storefront on Amazon, versus Ali ...
But thanks for your input, because I wouldn’t have learned about kingbrite if you didn’t reply.
I want to thank both of you for your advice. I just bought the Mars Hydro because it was on Amazon and I am so sick of blurple and fan noise (I grow CPs in my bedroom) that I wanted a new light fast without having to mess with a site that is unfamiliar to me. Thanks again!

-Isaac
By DragonsEye
Posts:  271
Joined:  Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:22 pm
#377208
Shadowtski wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:01 pm
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:13 pm How far away from the light do you have your plants?
Plants are 12 - 18 inches away from the Roleadro.
Ty. Also meant to ask what size area are you using it to illuminate?
User avatar
By Shadowtski
Location: 
Posts:  4214
Joined:  Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am
#377210
DragonsEye wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:26 am Ty. Also meant to ask what size area are you using it to illuminate?
About 2 ft x 1 1/2 ft but that's because the shelf is only 18 inches deep.
I think it would cover about 2 x 2 feet.
Tomorrow I'll run downstairs with a light meter.
Shipping times

We were able to get your Jaws shipped within 3 b[…]

@Dr GreenThumb , NICE!!! I'd love to be able to […]

Making a ping rock

I planted a pumice stone a couple years ago, and s[…]

Ok, one bump and I'll finish this up today.

Looking for Cephs

I actually managed to get one this time and it lo[…]

Mike Wang is my Sarracenia go to guy. Love his st[…]

Fixing pot color...

It does get pretty hot and humid here in the summe[…]

Yeah, I'm Ironman

Well done!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!