FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By posetha7172
Just started and received my first 2 venus fly traps.

Have a couple questions.

1. I want to replant them in a ceramic container with hole in bottom to allow for bottom feeding. What is best way to move them from styrofoam containers to new pots.

2. How often do I need to water them each week. I don't want to over water.

3. I live in Ohio winter can get below zero, what is best thing to do for dormancy. At this point I am thinking either of putting them in refrigerator or getting a cold box which would need some kind of heater to keep it around 32 degrees...any suggestions.

Thanks,
Steve
By tothkonrad33
1. There isn't really a best way, just repot them like you would any plant.
2.you should keep the media wet all times, during dormancy, watering them only a few weeks is okay.
3.they can tolerate light freezing.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
Hi Steve, welcome.
I am in Ohio too! What city are you in? Also,

1) I would stay away from ceramic containers. Minerals can leech into the soil from the ceramic pot and that can be bad for your plant, also ceramic pots have a huge hole and all your media will get flushed out unless you put sphagnum moss or something over the hole.

2) You can just let the plant sit in a bowl of distilled water so it stays as moist as needed without having to constantly monitor it.

3) Don't put your pot outside in the winter, it will freeze to death. Just keeping it in a cold (well-lit) windowsill will let it go into dormancy - you should water less as well.

Happy growing!
By boarderlib
Hello fellow Buckeye!

I agree with Adelaide on everything, except I personally don't leave my fly traps sitting in a tray of water. Some growers do and it works well for them. I get algae on top of my pots if I do, and I personally don't like the look of it. If it is going to be 90 or above I will sometimes put a little bit of water in their tray, but that's about the only time, and then it's only enough to get through the day. The water will have evaporated, or been sucked up by the end of that day. Then the next couple days I won't put water in the tray to let them dry up some. I will top water as needed at anytime though. Some pots will dry up faster than other.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By pieguy452
Hello and welcome, Steve!

Looks like your questions have already been answered, but I just wanted to put in a little input.

I personally wouldn't leave them standing in a tray of water 24/7. It is not good to keep the soil of a flytrap constantly wet. Doing so can promote fungal infections and may eventually lead to root rot. It is best if you let the medium dry out a bit between waterings. Ideally, the soil should be just moist before you have to water again.

Also I would highly recommend reading the basic care guides on the home page of flytrapcare if you haven't done so already.

http://www.flytrapcare.com

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!