FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Posts:  1136
Joined:  Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am
#302185
I was just wondering how hard is it to grow Pinguicula kondoi. It would be my first Mex Ping.
By Benurmanii
Posts:  2000
Joined:  Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:34 pm
#302187
I've been told it is more sensitive to water than other pings, but I have not found this to be the case. However, I have really bright conditions and use aggregate soils. For me, it is not harder from other typical Mexican pings, except the rosette is pretty loose and falls apart easily if unpotting. Mine have stayed carnivorous since last year and have been constantly sitting in water sense, even when temps were in the high 40s at night, no rotting. Again, I have really bright conditions. Actually, I think that's one of the most important thing for this ping, is good lighting. The one in CC's pic doens't look that great to me, seems like it's been grown in lower light, and thus seems pretty crumbly and loose.
Benurmanii liked this
By Hungry Plants
Posts:  1136
Joined:  Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am
#302195
Benurmanii wrote:I've been told it is more sensitive to water than other pings, but I have not found this to be the case. However, I have really bright conditions and use aggregate soils. For me, it is not harder from other typical Mexican pings, except the rosette is pretty loose and falls apart easily if unpotting. Mine have stayed carnivorous since last year and have been constantly sitting in water sense, even when temps were in the high 40s at night, no rotting. Again, I have really bright conditions. Actually, I think that's one of the most important thing for this ping, is good lighting. The one in CC's pic doesn't look that great to me, seems like it's been grown in lower light, and thus seems pretty crumbly and loose.

Can you recommend one of there other Pings than would be a good beginner Ping. I would like something with a little color or a cool flower. I cant seem to find the pings with the shape I really love (esseriana) but I would lick to start somewhere with something that I can have a good chant with success.
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  567
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#302218
P. cyclosecta grows like a weed for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Posts:  527
Joined:  Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 am
#302284
Honestly, you can't go wrong with agnata or moranensis. Agnata requires less light, but since your after bright foliage, that doesn't really matter. Also, any crosses that have either of those two in the mix, should do well for you.
By Bluemoon
Posts:  119
Joined:  Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 pm
#302345
Hungry Plants wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I've been told it is more sensitive to water than other pings, but I have not found this to be the case. However, I have really bright conditions and use aggregate soils. For me, it is not harder from other typical Mexican pings, except the rosette is pretty loose and falls apart easily if unpotting. Mine have stayed carnivorous since last year and have been constantly sitting in water sense, even when temps were in the high 40s at night, no rotting. Again, I have really bright conditions. Actually, I think that's one of the most important thing for this ping, is good lighting. The one in CC's pic doesn't look that great to me, seems like it's been grown in lower light, and thus seems pretty crumbly and loose.

Can you recommend one of there other Pings than would be a good beginner Ping. I would like something with a little color or a cool flower. I cant seem to find the pings with the shape I really love (esseriana) but I would lick to start somewhere with something that I can have a good chant with success.
Most forms of P. moranensis are pretty easy to grow. Some of the common hybrids (P. 'Weser', 'Sethos', etc.) are also quite forgiving for the first-time grower. They might not have the shape of esseriana that you are looking for but they will definitely give you a nice and easy start into the world of Pinguicula.
Bluemoon liked this
By Hungry Plants
Posts:  1136
Joined:  Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am
#302407
Bluemoon wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I've been told it is more sensitive to water than other pings, but I have not found this to be the case. However, I have really bright conditions and use aggregate soils. For me, it is not harder from other typical Mexican pings, except the rosette is pretty loose and falls apart easily if unpotting. Mine have stayed carnivorous since last year and have been constantly sitting in water sense, even when temps were in the high 40s at night, no rotting. Again, I have really bright conditions. Actually, I think that's one of the most important thing for this ping, is good lighting. The one in CC's pic doesn't look that great to me, seems like it's been grown in lower light, and thus seems pretty crumbly and loose.

Can you recommend one of there other Pings than would be a good beginner Ping. I would like something with a little color or a cool flower. I cant seem to find the pings with the shape I really love (esseriana) but I would lick to start somewhere with something that I can have a good chant with success.
Most forms of P. moranensis are pretty easy to grow. Some of the common hybrids (P. 'Weser', 'Sethos', etc.) are also quite forgiving for the first-time grower. They might not have the shape of esseriana that you are looking for but they will definitely give you a nice and easy start into the world of Pinguicula.

I've actually been looking at Weser and Sethos thanks
By Benurmanii
Posts:  2000
Joined:  Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:34 pm
#302412
I have some good starter plants like P. agnata "red leaf" and P. gigantea, pm me if you're interested. Not a fan of CC's prices, so once you feel fairly confident with pings I can sell you a P. kondoi for a bit less, or at least a nicer looking plant than their's for the same amount.

Yes I have! I have a yellow leaf I haven't cut off[…]

What other plants do you grow?

What does one do with 1,200 vines worth of tomatoe[…]

Is it too late to request filiformis seeds?

You can plant them without stratification and yo[…]

Just noticed this after I fed my trap a spider. A[…]

New Pinguicula Crosses

Hungry, I am not certain but I thought Aphrodite w[…]

On The Adaptive Value Of Mutations

I like give a ways!

Or an offshoot from the parent plant. 'Dreamsicle'[…]

Cephalotus Temps

I grow mine indoors under lights, no extra humid[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!