FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By nowyourot
Can anyone who grows these plants tell me the necessities and some care instructions. Im thinking of buying a Drosera Capensis and Ive heard that they are fairly easy to grow. The main thing Im concerned about is humidity. Can 10-20% humidity meet its needs?
By Matt
Yes, 10%-20% humidity will be fine for a Capensis. From what I understand, they will grow basically anywhere. Most people consider them weeds. I have a few now that I am growing from seed. They seem to do great here in Boulder with low humidity.
By nowyourot
Are they easy to grow from seed? Maybe I can buy seeds instead of a grown plant. It would be cheaper and much more exciting.
By nowyourot
So to grow them from seeds I just give them a bit more humidity and light than usual?
By nowyourot
wow. ok thank you for the info.
By linton
I've just sown Drosera capensis "broad leaf form" on sphagnum moss - still waiting for results, although other people tell me that they grow like weeds and spread freely by seed once established.
By Lychanthrope
Since I have a membership in ICPS i was just looking at the seed bank was wondering about growing D. capensis from seed. It sounds fairly easy what I've read here and in Savage Garden. Now the question I have is when is a good time to sow seeds?
Last edited by Lychanthrope on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Aging_Bourbon
well the basic care for sundews are mainly all the same.. all you need is soil, water and sunlight
first of all you need to use soil thats 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite the basic soil mix
next is water make sure you use water thats pure like rain or distilled keep the soil moist at all times dont let its dry out
next sunlight sundews love sunlight full sun is required for sundews (the reasons is they need to take an extra step in "photosynthesis" to make the "stuff" for the Dew hope this helps oh humidity dont matter that much for the sundew you have

Allen,
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!