FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Hi everybody.
Although my flytraps aren’t looking great right now, I thought I’d share some photos of my seedgrowns and seedlings.

I don’t have all that many, but the adult ones were grown from FTS seed from 2012. All of them color up much, much better when it’s cooler than they do in the summer. They all get flushed red on the outside of traps in the winter.

First up is a far away photo of my adults:

Next up are the four individual clones from this seed batch.

Clone 1 (fractal teeth):
It only shows these teeth from late April on. The early traps are normal looking. This plant is really vigorous — it easily produces decent sized traps (1”) and divides.

Clone 2:
This clone is a nice typical flytrap. It is even more vigorous than clone 1 is — I took off a dime sized division with traps under 1/2” this spring, and the division is already putting up traps .8” long! It colors up better in the heat than does clone 1, but it still has its best color in late fall and early spring.

Clone 3:

This plant is an OK typical. I haven’t really been able to evaluate it, although it was flowering sized last year. It dried out, killing the main growth point and causing this profuse clumping. Some of the growth points will probably be mature next year.

Clone 4 (all red):

You might ask why this plant is so small if it’s 5 years old. Well, it had grown slower than the other plants it shared it’s communal pot with. Last spring, I was expecting it to hit flowering size in 2018. Then, a raccoon destroyed its communal pot. All the plants were gone! The next day, I found a dehydrated rhizome with a tiny (~3-4mm) bit of healthy stuff. I quickly potted it up, and it was this plant.
I really like this plant. It’s got a great shade. I know it’s not quite solid red now, but it’s still a really nice plant.

2017 Seedlings:

These were grown from last year’s OP seed when clowns 1, 2, and 3 were flowering. I donated the rest of the seed to the ICPS, and got 100% germination on what I kept. I know they’re a bit small for ~11 month old seedlings, but I go to college in a different state, so I haven’t fed them nearly as much as I should’ve been. They just went outside from under my lights, hence the fantastic coloration even on the typicals. I find that even though I have a longer photoperiod indoors (16 vs 14 hrs), flytrap seedlings tend to grow quite a bit faster outside for me (so I put them outside when they’re big enough to handle it).

Hope you like the photos!

I wanted to get some more flytrap seeds this year, and clones 1 and 2 flowered. But, a caterpillar ate the bottom of clone 2’s flowerstalk before the seeds could ripen! So I only got a handful of seeds (clone 1 flowered a bit later, so many flowers had nothing to cross with).
bananaman liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Those are some interesting clones there! I wish I could grow and breed flytraps like that. My plants tend to get a bit sickly in the intense heat, which makes them grow rather slow.
By bananaman
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Those are some interesting clones there! I wish I could grow and breed flytraps like that. My plants tend to get a bit sickly in the intense heat, which makes them grow rather slow.
They do slow down a lot in the summer here — see all the burned cilia? No matter how wet I keep them, that happens. They start growing great once it cools off some in early/mid September (days in low 90s/high 80s, nights in high 60s/low 70s as opposed to days in high 90s, nights in mid 70s). They make up for it with grown the rest of the year though. I think it helps that our winters are warm enough for them to keep all their leaves and continue photosynthesizing.

Heat shouldn’t be too much of an issue though. (At least it hasn’t been for me). I’ve measured the soil surface temperatures of my flytraps at like 130° and they still grow OK.
By bananaman
My 2018 batch has finally started.

They took really unusually long to begin sprouting — 4 or 5 weeks. Last year, I had 100% germination within two weeks.

I had some fiascos this year with seeds — a caterpillar ate the base of the stalk on one plant, so it dehydrated and I was only able to get 5 or 6 mature looking seeds. I planted those 5/28. My other stalk had crappy seed set (probably because it was mostly blooming by itself). I planted them around 6/10 or so in the same pot. I’m not sure which are sprouting, but I’m glad to get some sprouts.
0D38B48D-5C0B-4279-9506-88DBA30DCAC9.jpeg
0D38B48D-5C0B-4279-9506-88DBA30DCAC9.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2079 times
I do think genetics have to do with sprouting time — this year, the majority of the seeds were from clone 1, while last year, the majority were from clone 2. Clone 2 tends to flower earlier and is a tad more vigorous than clone 1, though clone 1 produces quality traps more consistently and begins producing summer leaves (long/upright) much earlier.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!