FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Panman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:23 pm
Sundews69 wrote:Oh, wow. I've seen them only half submerged but never fully. I also have only seen one rotundifolia for some reason. But what the bog lacks in rotundifolia, it makes up for with literally HUNDREDS of purps. It's really quite insane. If you ever come to southern Wisconsin, you need to go there.
Pictures! We demand pictures! I saw mass of purps in Nova Scotia. They were in a rocky bog at the base of a cliff. It was not the environment that I would have expected but there were thousands of them.
:lol: I can definitely supply some pictures, but the bog isn't lookin' to sharp right now (all the plants are still just coming out of dormancy here). I was given a collectors/researchers permit to take some from the bog so I actually have some of my own now!
20220214_171925.jpg
20220214_171925.jpg (7.03 MiB) Viewed 1699 times
20220214_171930.jpg
20220214_171930.jpg (6.71 MiB) Viewed 1699 times
20220214_171937.jpg
20220214_171937.jpg (6.29 MiB) Viewed 1699 times
These are just the ones I collected from the bog in November, but when the weather warms up I can go take some fresh pics in the bog! (I may actually have some stored away somewhere, but I'll look later). Please ignore my crappy pots, interesting saucers, and dirty garage.
By Intheswamp
Ya'll are quiet a crowd! Lots of good back and forth banter. Cool.

I got my granddaughter's and my typicals re-potted a little bit ago. I went pretty good. It was interesting that when I took them out of the little black pots that the fine black peat(?) fell away from them a plug was left the shape of a shot glass but maybe half the size of one. There were several roots coming out of the plug and the plug seemed pretty firm so I did not mess with it. I made a hole, let the roots settle below the plug and then firmed the new planting mix around it. I was afraid that if I messed with the plugs too much I might damage the roots within it. Now, I'm second-guessing that and wondering if I should have risked breaking them apart. ????
Panman liked this
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote:Ya'll are quiet a crowd! Lots of good back and forth banter. Cool.
Yeah, sorry about hijacking the thread like that.

Regarding the plant, it is fine to leave it as it is. If you had investigated closer, you would have found a thin fabriclike substance wrapped around the peat plug. That is used by mass propagators to make handling the plants easier. I have, albeit only recently, started carefully tearing away the fabric and rinsing the old peat out from the roots. It is a fairly delicate operation, and I wouldn't suggest trying it with your granddaughter's plant.
Last edited by Panman on Fri May 06, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 pm Sitting them in water will only work if you have a tall enough pot and the right water level. Flytrap roots are about 5 to 6 inches long and they don't like the root tips to be sitting in water the entire time. I use 6 inch tall pots, water from the top and don't rewater until the water tray is empty.

They are bog plants, but the water level in the bog is several inches below the ground. In the Green Swamp you do not find flytraps growing in areas where there is always standing water or even very wet.
This gives me a good visual. Thanks! My pots are only 5.25" tall and the soil depth is probably between 4.75" and 5.0" so a bit shallow to be holding water beneath the roots. I'm thinking these are probably like 1-1/2 quart pots so hopefully they'll be good for a couple of days at least in our summer heat.
By Panman
Something else that also helps, is top watering the plants. That brings the oxygenated water down from the surface into the roots. The caution with that is that you don't want to do it so that the water will sit on the crown for some time. So, you wouldn't want to top water in the evening where the plant isn't going to be able to dry out. If you do, you run into the possibility of rotting the rhizome. During the day, top water and let the water fill the tray to the level you want. Let the tray empty before watering from the top again. In my trays I find that I water every other day or so, and I am in Atlanta.
By Intheswamp
Carnies wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:08 pm Nope, you're good.
Great news!!!!...having a total of ten thumbs I was a nervous wreck trying to handle the plants and get them settled into the planting mix. A dinner fork sure came in handy!!!! :D
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:14 pm Something else that also helps, is top watering the plants. That brings the oxygenated water down from the surface into the roots. The caution with that is that you don't want to do it so that the water will sit on the crown for some time. So, you wouldn't want to top water in the evening where the plant isn't going to be able to dry out. If you do, you run into the possibility of rotting the rhizome. During the day, top water and let the water fill the tray to the level you want. Let the tray empty before watering from the top again. In my trays I find that I water every other day or so, and I am in Atlanta.
I didn't see a thread hijack...just an informative discussion on a topic included in my rambling newbie thread. :) Feel free, anytime! And in regards on not tampering with the plug on my granddaughter's plant...we're on the same page with that! ;)

I understand what you're saying about top-watering. I did top water to settle in the potting mix and insure the mix was good and most (I did pre-moisten the mix before using it). I start my own pepper and tomato seedlings each year so I understand where you're coming from about leaving the plants wet. For the flytraps I simply watered slowly, letting the water "run" up towards the crown/plug...slightly tamping down the mix as I went. I think it worked out pretty well. I just hope the roots keep growing good and get more coming out of the plug to anchor the plant into the new mix.

So, you have your flytraps sitting in a tray, you top water through the mix until enough water drains through filling the tray to your predetermined level...? It looks like you are in a 7b/8a zone, I'm right on the line between zone 8a and 8b so basically one zone warmer than you. Without the pots sitting in a tray with a touch of water in it it may come down to an every day watering for us. My granddaughter and I can easily get a 12-hour full sun summer day. With her we've just got to keep the traps out of reach of the dogs (one is a super hyper young black lab...*super* hyper :shock: ).
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote:So, you have your flytraps sitting in a tray, you top water through the mix until enough water drains through filling the tray to your predetermined level...?
Yes, that is how I keep mine. They are in 4" square pots and 5 inches deep. I keep 1/2 to 1 inch of water in the tray, and let the tray dry out before watering again. Of course, the amount of sun, heat, and humidity all play varying roles in how often I water them. With 12 hours of sun, you may need to look at some sort of shade protection during the hotter part of the days. Unfortunately, you will just have to wait and see how they do to make that determination.
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
12 hours, where the heck did I get that from. Daylight hours yes, good sun hours?...probably not. 8 hours is doable, though. We will keep an eye on things. I know from doing some vegetables in containers that the sun and summer heat can zap the moisture right out of those big pots. So, these little pots will definitely need to be watched closely!

Do these typical flytraps get much larger than what these are? My granddaughters is the bigger one on the left. It had a better root structure on it, too. Mine was dog-eared a bit...sitting inside the store from what my wife told me in a dim area. There were several dead/black traps.
IMG_4628pp (Custom)
By Panman
A typical flytrap will range from 3 inches to 5 inches in diameter. They will also divide by themselves and produce more.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I'm gonna have to have a talk with my granddaughter...my wife has already texted our daughter telling them that I've got a new hobby!!!! :lol:

Ok, question #3018... What about something to mulch the surface with? Anything that could be locally (wild?) sourced?

Also, is it too late to be ordering traps...too much heat? Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'll be at the next TGA meeting (Trap Growers Anonymous).
By Panman
For topping it you can use sphagnum moss. You can also use silica sand. I use the moss. As far as getting new plants, I don't think it is too late. You might want to pay for priority shipping over first class but otherwise it should be fine.
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:30 am I'm gonna have to have a talk with my granddaughter...my wife has already texted our daughter telling them that I've got a new hobby!!!! :lol:

Ok, question #3018... What about something to mulch the surface with? Anything that could be locally (wild?) sourced?

Also, is it too late to be ordering traps...too much heat? Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'll be at the next TGA meeting (Trap Growers Anonymous).
Do you think you may try other carnivorous plants in the future such as tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes), North American pitcher plants (Sarracenia), or sundews (Drosera) to expand your newfound hobby?
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!