FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Thursday
This awesome looking seedgrown that I received in my mystery box is putting up a flower stalk! The plant looks pretty healthy and I want some seed.. so I just might let it continue. I didn't know such young plants did this.

Take a look
Small plant flowerstalk
Small plant flowerstalk
IMG_0200.JPG (101.65 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Pot of small seedgrowns
Pot of small seedgrowns
IMG_0202.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Crappy cell phone camera doesn't off the crazy looking colors of the teeth and traps on the plant too well unfortunately.
By 95slvrZ28
How long have you been growing the plant? If it hasn't been a well established plant you've been caring for over the end of last growing season and throughout dormancy I would probably recommend cutting your stalks this year. Letting a plant that isn't established flower will certainly slow growth quite a bit, and potentially kill the plant (sometimes they send up "desperation" flower stalks). If you have plants that have been established for longer than that particular one that haven't started flowering yet just be patient. We have plenty of growing season left!
By Thursday
True, I've actually only had it for a week, maybe I'll let it grow a little bigger, cut it off, and try to plant it. Hopefully my crimson sawtooth decides to flower, I really want some seed lol.
By 95slvrZ28
If you've only been growing it a week then I would for sure cut it. The plant needs to be focusing on getting its roots established again, not making (boring) flowers.

If you want seed it should be pretty plentiful to purchase mid to late growing season, it's also usually pretty reasonably priced with low shipping. You may even be able to find a generous member or two in the Sales/Trades or Seed Bank sections that are willing to send you some.
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Matt
Thursday wrote:I didn't know such young plants did this.
Just to set the record straight, that's not a terribly young plant. Grown from seed, that plant would be 4 to 5 years old :) That's plenty old for them to be sexually mature.

Many people don't seem to understand how long it takes for a flytrap to reach maturity (usually a minimum of 3 years); hence the reason we're perpetually out of larger flytraps at the FlytrapStore...

And I agree with Blake about cutting off the stalk. Let the plant settle in and grow well this year. If you want to let it set seed, let it do so next year. If you let that one go to seed, you'd probably not get much, if any, seed from it anyway.
By prized
liyuan123 wrote:On the wikipedia i read a venus flytrap is mature at 3-4 years old.
That's not completely true!!! I had some VFTs flowering being 1 year old! :)

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!