FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Imagine a stable white regia would get around lol.
Well, any plants that I've grown that were yellow or even close to being white didn't get around well. I've grown FTS Yellow for nearly 12 years now but I don't think anyone else in the world has it at this point despite me sending about a dozen or so to other growers. Without chlorophyll, any plant struggles to stay healthy, it seems. And that was enough to kill the plant in other people's collections. I just have 2 small specimens left now in my own.

Apollyon wrote:Could the compounds and hormones used create complications while the plant is actually growing?
Certainly. But, as I've mentioned before, I've never seen it alter the genetics of the plants. I believe it is possible that hormones used in TC could cause a genetic mutation that would result in a change of appearance of a plant, but that seems to me to be very unlikely and exceptionally rare based on my decade-long experience with tissue culturing Venus flytraps.
By Apollyon
Matt wrote: Well, any plants that I've grown that were yellow or even close to being white didn't get around well. I've grown FTS Yellow for nearly 12 years now but I don't think anyone else in the world has it at this point despite me sending about a dozen or so to other growers. Without chlorophyll, any plant struggles to stay healthy, it seems. And that was enough to kill the plant in other people's collections. I just have 2 small specimens left now in my own.
That is unfortunate, though understandable. I imagine that Regia probably died off as well by now. It's interesting though how people will gravitate towards variegated plants for the novelty but wouldn't be interested in a different colored VFT. Different strokes I guess. With its primary functions nuked,it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sounds like it would be harder to care for even if it could be kept alive. Tissue culturing is some fascinating stuff. I'd love to do it when I have the setting for a "sterile environment." Sounds like it would require a decent amount of protected free space. Actually been thinking of purchasing the book you recommended on another thread.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Sounds like it would require a decent amount of protected free space.
You'd think so, but it really doesn't. When I started my TC work, we lived in a 700 sq. ft. rental! I worked out of a 30-gallon aquarium laid on its side. Now I work in a laminar flow hood in the garage. That does take up some space, but it is possible to have good success working in a small place.
Apollyon wrote:Actually been thinking of purchasing the book you recommended on another thread.
You should! It's a great hobby to get into for sure, particularly for those with a scientific mind who understand plants well and like to experiment.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!