FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By madeliefje
Hiya :)
Just wondering if anyone here is from Oz and has used a fungicide on their VFT brfore?
I'm having trouble ridding mine of the mould and it has got to the rhizome of one plant and has completely died. I'm hoping to save the other one.
I've looked in bunnings, they have lime-sulpher fungicides. Are these ok, or does anyone have suggestions of a good brand to use?
Also... im a bit of a newbie at the whole fungicide thing... whats the best way to use / apply it?
Thanks!!! :D
By Matt
I've used a sulfur based fungicide before, but I'm not sure if it had lime in it. From what I understand, sulfur based fungicides are safe to use on your plants, but I'd probably try them at 1/2 the recommended dosage. If that doesn't work to eliminate the fungus, then you can use a full dosage. When I used mine, I applied it by mixing it in a spray bottle and then misting it onto the peat moss or affected plants.

Perhaps someone from Australia can verify that the fungicide you're looking at will work and not harm your plant. I think it will, but I'd hate to guide you down the wrong path.
By lemonlily
Whats lime? Matt, what do you mean by guiding her down the wrong path?
By lemonlily
Okay, thanks. What Colour is lime? Why is lime called lime when a fruit is called lime?
By linton
madeliefje wrote:Hiya :)
Just wondering if anyone here is from Oz and has used a fungicide on their VFT brfore?
:D
Try using Mancozeb on your VFT at half strength, unless the fungicide is systemic you will probably need to drench your plant and the soil that it is potted in. Have you given any thought to removing the plant from it's pot, washing the rhizome and drenching with fungicide then repotting in fresh medium? To help your plant recover, you should try to increase air circulation & natural sunlight, decrease humidity and watering frequency.

Good luck.
By lemonlily
What does drench mean?
You probably should water small amounts every time, but more often. Dionaea don't like to be very wet for a long time, but likes water. Its like you rather take more baths than taking one very long one.
By linton
A drench is like a thorough soaking from a watering can - so everything is wet and the chemicals are applied to all surfaces.
By lemonlily
Thanks Linton.
By Anrich
Ahoy!!
In South Africa We have a product called 'Fungi-gun'. It's a oxygen propelled sulfur based aerosol. It works great! And comes in 5 different concentrations.
just aim and blast the mouth to oblivion!!!
Sweet!!!
By lemonlily
Whats oblivion?
By madeliefje
Ok, I'll give it a go! Thanx for the suggestions :)
Try using Mancozeb on your VFT at half strength
Where did u buy it? Bunnings? City Farmers?
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!