FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By aquarius33
Hello,

I got a VFT as a gift, just out of dormancy.

I've been led to believe professional growers usually put some of their plants into artificial dormancy under terrarium/greenhouse conditions in order to have beautiful plants to sell every season and all year. I had a conversation with the greenhouse owner to make sure, he told me the plant in my possession is just out of dormancy.

Long story short, I've a VFT in my possession just out of dormancy and it is november 24th :)

My carnivours stay in the same place all year long, going into natural dormancy in the winters.

What's the best thing to do with this VFT?

1. Putting it near my current plants and allow it to start another dormancy?
2. Keeping it indoors with artificial light all winter and taking it outdoors on spring, until end of next summer, natural dormancy next year?
3. Or else?

Thanks.
By Doublebass1985
aquarius33 wrote:Hello,

I got a VFT as a gift, just out of dormancy.

I've been led to believe professional growers usually put some of their plants into artificial dormancy under terrarium/greenhouse conditions in order to have beautiful plants to sell every season and all year. I had a conversation with the greenhouse owner to make sure, he told me the plant in my possession is just out of dormancy.

Long story short, I've a VFT in my possession just out of dormancy and it is november 24th :)

My carnivours stay in the same place all year long, going into natural dormancy in the winters.

What's the best thing to do with this VFT?

1. Putting it near my current plants and allow it to start another dormancy?
2. Keeping it indoors with artificial light all winter and taking it outdoors on spring, until end of next summer, natural dormancy next year?
3. Or else?

Thanks.
My personal opinion go route #2
Give the sucker what it naturally wants to do which is start growing when coming out of dormancy. I wonder how the guy you got it from have had these plants in dormancy in a greenhouse during the end of summer. He had to have ran an air conditioner or something right? That seems wasteful unless he grows vfts and issues a shortened out of season dormancy period to increase growth. That's the only reason I see and yes to all you newbies out there that is one way to increase growth rate of your plants and probably the best one too.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I don't think your plant is out of dormancy. Where does this grower live? If he/she grows their plants in the USA then the plant should still be in dormancy until early spring. If anything, the plant should be beginning dormancy. So I don't think your plant will mind being placed next to your others to begin dormancy.

A majority of professional growers grow their Flytraps outdoors year round. Unless the winters are ghastly enough to where they will have to maybe pull them inside, but even then they still have them outside for the growing season. Indoor dormancy is usually done in addition with indoor growing. Which for Venus Flytraps should only be done when outdoor growing isn't an option.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!