FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Brendan2261
About 9 months ago i purchased 10 Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea Muscipula) seeds and grew them in a peat sphagnum and pearlite mixture. After recently looking at photos of germinating fly traps i have noticed that mine look nothing like the pictures that i have seen on the net so can someone please tell me if mine are normal or if the e bay seller has given me some random plant seeds heres what they look like.

By pieguy452
Unfortunately, those are not flytraps. Looks like some type of moss to me...... sorry :(
By Brendan2261
lol after 9 months of thinking they were this comes across as a bit devastating finding out they are not lol oh well its time to start again. And i might just keep growing these whatever they are just for something to do.
By pieguy452
You could always buy an adult or semi adult flytrap, seeds can take up to 2-3 years to reach a decent size.
By Brendan2261
yeah i might just do that. i did some research and it looks like some peat moss has grown and my flytrap seeds never did germinate.
By jwbates26
The green looks like sphagnum moss to me. I'd keep it and let it grow. A lot of cp growers grow sphagnum and grow cp in sphagnum. I'm a little curious of what the little red plants growing next to some of the moss is.
By parker679
Just curious as to how you planted the seeds? Did you actually bury them, or did you just sprinkle them on top of the soil?

For most CP's you just want to sprinkle the seeds on the soil. Maybe a light dusting of peat on top but that's it.

I would keep the pot as is. Sphagnum moss is a commodity around here and moss in general is just pretty.
By CPgrower
I was wondering the same about your planting method. They should be sprinkled on the top of some moss, not mixed in the dirt. There seems to be something shiny and black in about the middle of the pot. Looks like a flytrap seed, but idk if it would still be there after 9 months. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!