FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jaybon
Hello Trap carers

my plants were given to me in the pots they are still in and I have had them just over two months. As far as I know they were "on show" in the garden centre they were bought from, i'm not sure on their age or if that is relevant. I have had them in a tray constantly in 0.5cm of water since i've had them which i now realise is not a good idea, especially as it is not that warm or sunny in London. I now keep them in the tray but do not keep them in constant water and am waiting for them to dry out before watering, however the soil is still very very wet

My questions

Should I cut the stems ( which are now flowering) and is this beneficial to the plant?

Should I re-pot in new CP compost ?

Are the pots they are in a suitable size?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I really want to make sure they stay as healthy and happy as possible !

pictures attached

regards

Ned
Attachments:
trap3.jpg
trap3.jpg (188.62 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
trap2.jpg
trap2.jpg (179.32 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
trap1.jpg
trap1.jpg (187.08 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
By hackerberry
Hi Ned,

The plants look ok but in need of supplemental lighting. Looks like they were not exposed to natural sunlight. Slowly acclimatize them to sunlight or you can use artificial lighting for now. They look healthy in my opinion, just need more light.

hb
By Dionae
You can cut the stems or leave them imo. The plants look healthy enough for flowering to me. If you cut them the plant will put more energy into making traps but if you dont you could get seed and try growing VFTs from seed.

Looks like theyre growing fine in whatever theyre in. Looks like 100% peat but I cant tell for sure. Theyd probably like 50/50 peat/sand or peat/perlite but, again, they look healthy to me.

Pot size should be okay until next year but they probably wouldnt mind a deeper pot.
By dantt99
They look pretty good. They are obviously doing fine if they are flowering. I wouldn't cut the stem of the plant on the left. Because the flower is about to bloom, it has already spent some energy and would be foolish to cut it off at this point. Once the flower pokes out, you can pollinate it!
By SnapSnapIOM
Tip- lift the pot up and see if alot of roots are coming out the bottom :) dont panic if theres only a few popping out but i would repot both next spring into bigger deeper pots :)

Agreed with Dantt i wouldnt bother cutting it either and yes your plant looks ok apart from struggling for sunlight :)

You see the way the flower stalk on the right is growing to one side ? that is the side where the sunlight is mostly coming from
as for the other one that has decided to faint i think ? or did u break it :) or have you turned the pot around ?
By jaybon
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Tip- lift the pot up and see if alot of roots are coming out the bottom :) dont panic if theres only a few popping out but i would repot both next spring into bigger deeper pots :)

Agreed with Dantt i wouldnt bother cutting it either and yes your plant looks ok apart from struggling for sunlight :)

You see the way the flower stalk on the right is growing to one side ? that is the side where the sunlight is mostly coming from
as for the other one that has decided to faint i think ? or did u break it :) or have you turned the pot around ?
--

Thanks for the info, really helpful! It hasn't broken but the pot has moved so it's growing direction must of changed. More sun is getting through in London so I may put the plant outside in direct sunlight for short periods each day!

thanks again guys

Ned
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!