FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By nicolasanissimov
I remember reading that i should buy from Home-Depot because of pencil wielding old ladies walking buy and making VFT's close... But other than that are there any other reasons not to get VFT's from HDPT? If that's genuinely the only concern a person could have from buying them from HDPT then ill just choose one farthest away from the isle so i know no one could have possibly made them close.

Also, please don't say "No" so i'll buy from FTS, I'm asking this question because HDPT is closer than my local breeder who sell them for 7 dollars a pop and HDPT sells them for 5 bucks a pop minus the cost of gas, saying no won't make me buy from FTS :/

So is HDPT a good place to get regular VFT's, if not why?
By RogerMcAllen
A lot depends on the local suppliers and the conditions the plants are kept in the store.

Some chain stores have great looking plants, others don't. Some chain stores keep their plants watered and in the sun, others keep them unwatered in a dark corner. There is nothing inherently wrong with chain store plants, so feel confident buying any good looking VFT you find there. Just make sure you repot it since the ones you buy them in generally aren't deep enough for good root growth.
By tommyr
As long as they look healthy go for it.
By firstimetrapper
I bought mines at Home Depot and let me tell you, they were all sad looking. They were kept in a shelf under a bunch of other plants so they got no sun whatsoever. They were covered with a plastic cup so at least no one was making the traps close, not that the plants had that many traps anyways.

Since this was my first carnivorous plant, I really didnt know what to look for in a healthy plant so I just got the one that looked like it was partially alive. I brought it home and now, a few months later, with the help of this forum, I have a lovely and pretty large flytrap with its first flower bud. I was even able to repot it successfully.

So I say go for it. Save a flytraps life and it will reward you. It was very easy to bring my flytrap back from the dead...:)
By fuddmain
I just picked up 3 VFTs from Home Depot yesterday and they are all in nice shape. There had about twenty on the succulent shelf and all looked good.

I think a lot depends on how long they've been in the store, because they won't get any special treatment. I doubt these had been in the store any longer than a week.

FYI, if you're in the Orlando area this is the Home Depot on 50 near 436.
By Shimizoki
fuddmain wrote:I just picked up 3 VFTs from Home Depot yesterday and they are all in nice shape. There had about twenty on the succulent shelf and all looked good.

I think a lot depends on how long they've been in the store, because they won't get any special treatment. I doubt these had been in the store any longer than a week.

FYI, if you're in the Orlando area this is the Home Depot on 50 near 436.
I'm just a few miles north and the ones up here are miserable looking. However every year thats where I have bought them, and they live for a while (I assume they die because my girlfriend didnt know about distilled water). Hope they serve you well, get some pictures up.
Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!