FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
Do these look like Aphids to anyone? I sprayed my VFTs and Serracenias with diluted Neem oil. Any other suggestions? Technically they're still in dormancy although I see signs they're waking up. Thanks, Liz Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By javaliz59
Please if anyone has seen these before on their VFTs anx can confirm if these are indeed aphids vs something else, I would be so appreciative. This is the first time I've seen this on my VFTs. Thanks, Liz

By twitcher
I have never had aphids on my flytraps, but within the limits of the picture quality, they do look like aphids to me. I fight aphids on my rhipsalis from time to time. If you catch them early before they spread, the are manageable. Isolate the plant and wipe off all you see. Check daily and repeat until the infection is gone. If that doesn't work, there are other options listed on this forum.
By javaliz59
Thanks. I thought so too. Little turds are in the trap so I can't brush them off without them closing, so I treated it with Neem oil. Watching my other plants too.

By javaliz59
Neem Oil did the trick!Image

By Seymour K
I'm not sure what those things are, but I've definitely had aphids (they were green) and neem definitely didn't work for me.I swear aphids just laugh at the stuff and if you use it enough, it'll damage your plants. It leaves behind a sticky film that the plants hate but the aphids don't seem to mind. I also tried manually picking the aphids off, but that didn't work as they're so small that it's impossible to get every single one. Tried the "drown them in a bucket" method too. Didn't kill all of them. They just came back. Then I read some posts here that suggested a systemic insecticide, acephate. I ordered some but I decided not to use it since the dry package of powder smelled like a dead corpse (I can't even imagine what it would smell like once mixed with water and atomized).

Finally, I read a post that indicated that permethrin works. Having used it on my clothes in the past, I had a bottle so I mixed up a solution and misted all parts of the plant at night. The next day... No aphids and no plant damage! Was like a miracle. Keep in mind I had been fighting these little nightmares for about month at that point... The plant stayed aphid free for several months... When I noticed them again, I just reapplied the permethrin. Killed them again with one application...

PS. If you have a sundew plant suffering from Aphids, don't use permethrin. If you apply it to the sticky parts, it will "burn" those parts. It won't kill the plant, but some time will be needed for the plant to reestablish its tentacles.
By Seymour K
Upon closer inspection, I don't think those are aphids. Not sure what they could be, but I'm glad that you've taken care of the problem!
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!