FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Sarracenia oreophila has been under CITES Appendix I protection since June 1981. It's legal for you to buy it in another state and transport it across state lines, but it isn't legal for someone else to ship it to you.
By sanguinearocks101
MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:23 am Sarracenia oreophila has been under CITES Appendix I protection since June 1981. It's legal for you to buy it in another state and transport it across state lines, but it isn't legal for someone else to ship it to you.
So you just can’t ship it from another state but can go to them and bring it back to your state?
By MikeB
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:50 pmSo you just can’t ship it from another state but can go to them and bring it back to your state?
Yes. I think the attitude is that shipping by the seller could enable "mass commercial exploitation". The effort of having to get it yourself is considered to be sufficient deterrent.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Ping
You can ship Oreos anywhere. The issue is the shipper must cover the shipping costs themselves. So, if someone gifts you one by sending it all on their own dime it's legal. There can't be any exchange for the plant and or shipping in form of a trade or cash.
By ChefDean
Yes, you can ship an Oreo interstate. You are correct that the recipient cannot pay anything for it, including shipping costs (I was wrong in another thread about that).
I received my Oreo from out of state, but it was included as an extra in with another Sarr that I paid shipping on. It was a hitchhiker so to speak, just in the box with the other.
By MikeB
Thanks for the info. I never got a full explanation of the CITES Appendix I restrictions. It makes more sense now.
By Apollyon
Looks like Mike Wang on the Sarracenia Forum sells them. I don't know if he gifts those though. https://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread ... oL-4l9bpQQ

He does usually give a free plant when you buy one from him though. Ended up with 2 extra flavas than expected lol.
By ChefDean
Apollyon wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:14 am Looks like Mike Wang on the Sarracenia Forum sells them. I don't know if he gifts those though. https://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread ... oL-4l9bpQQ

He does usually give a free plant when you buy one from him though. Ended up with 2 extra flavas than expected lol.
Lots of Oreos, but he can only sell them in CA. You'd probably have to buy more than a couple plants and strongly hint that you'd like an Oreo, then hope he is feeling nice and sends a free one.
Apollyon liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!