FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sndfrwef
Excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong sub-forum for this though I'm wondering if there's any useful links I could read about D. Capensis and about D. Spatulata. I'm not too familiar with the terms so I'm sorry if I'm getting the names wrong. Anyways, I read a couple of things though I feel like I'm awfully uninformed about these plants. I'd like to know how grow them so they can be healthy and well nourish, how things work with the plants, etc. Yesterday I bought most supplies like distill water, Better Gro Sphagnums Moss, small pots, a specific kind of light bulbs so when the weather gets cold I could keep them inside, and order the plants themselves. I feel like I'm sort of ready though I just want to be prepared to take care of these plants. Any help is appreciated.
By Mufasa
You might want to get a TDS meter, and either propagation sand or perlite (to aerate moss)

i don't know about spatulatar, but capensis is easy to grow and it's fairly forgiving

also, does better gro contain fertilizers? or are you mentioning the name because that specific brand doesnt?
Last edited by Mufasa on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sndfrwef
Don't believe the soil contained any fertilizer since I've read it harms the plants. I'm just mentioning the brand name just because, sorry. I didn't mean to cause any confusion.
By Mufasa
nah that's fine, just thought you might have mentioned it because of research or something showing it to be a good brand
By kcbugs
Both of those are very easy plants. Better Gro is a great product, so you're fine there. I keep mine under artificial lights year round. Both plants reproduce ABUNDANTLY!. The spathulatas will reproduce via the roots, as spathulata flowers don't self pollinate (as far as I know), and the capensis will spread like mad after it flowers because it will self pollinate.

I keep my pots sitting in trays of distilled water 1/2" deep at most, as sundews don't mind things a little wetter. When the tray evaporates, I replenish the water.

I agree with Mufasa, add some perlite (NO MIRACLE GROW) to the sphagnum for aeration.

I know exactly how you feel. No amount of advice you receive will make you feel much better, but you'll catch on, and you'll realize it's pretty easy, much easier than you ever thought, to raise these fantastic beauties! Then... YOUR HOOKED!

Good luck!
By fattytuna
A great resource for sundews is the website growsundews.com. It has a lot of information about cultivation, propagation, as well as profiles for several species.

My advice for these two species is to keep them as bright as possible and to make sure that their soil doesn't dry out.
By katya_dog1
It is, but it is missing info, especially for certain kinds of sundews. If you don't find information you are looking for on there, ask here.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!