FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I'm wondering if anyone has info or knows a website detailing the various hybrids between these plants? Are there named cultivars?

Specifically, I want to know if this cross has been done before; (Capensis typical x Spatulata Fraiser's Island Form) or the inverse of that (Spatulata Fraiser's Island Form x Capensis typical). I know someone named the 'All red capensis x alba capensis' cross as Capensis "sunset".

BTW can Spatulata and Capes cross pollinated? or is one of them unable to be the mother plant?
By SundewWolf
fattytuna wrote:Drosera capensis x spatulata exists. It is still a relatively 'rare' plant in my opinion so I doubt there's cultivars as such. There's probably a lot of variation given that it is a cross.

Here's a video by sundewman on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906g0cjL0po
I was just thinking that since there are different forms of capensis and different forms of spatulata then there could be more than just one hybridization between them. Maybe using an albino cape to 'wash out' the color in the hybrid, or a spatulata with an all red cape to accentuate the color of the hybrid.
By Cory
I have a cape X Spathulata
I will post pics of it eventually
It's gotten quite large and mostly fills a 4" pot.
Easy grower. I have tried to propagate it a couple times through leaf pullings without success and I have hear that the seeds are sterile but idk.
It's constantly throwing a flower stalk an I may try the seeds eventually just to see what happens if anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sander
Cory wrote: I have hear that the seeds are sterile but idk.
I have read this as well, on sundewmans website and another website contradicted this, i did even send sundewman a mssg a while back, never got a response.
I was sold a capensis x spatulata (capensis being the parent), there were some questions regarding if this was the real cross, so a clone has been send to andreas fleischmann (this one looks like a wide leaf, yet different)
By Cory
In that case I will try and get the next seeds from the flower stalk and try to get them to germinate. It flowers like crazy so I will have seeds in no time in abundance

These pics a are from last summer it's much thicker and larger now.

By Cory
I will get some current pics posted later this evening.

Never had the opportunity to get a venusta X capensis however I do have both plants
My venusta isn't quite mature but I have all forms of capensis at flowering size lol. So it would be possible I guess

By Cory
I'm not positive it will work but it has with many other dews I grow. Mines under potted as lots of under potted dews push pups and will make new ones much faster than by seed or leaf pullings.
Time will tell

Also if you like hybrid venusta's and Spathulata capensis style plants gramogolensis is another one you may like growing if you can find it.
It's not super hard it prefers conditions similar to schizandra or prolifera

Last edited by Cory on Sun May 04, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By fattytuna
SundewWolf wrote:
fattytuna wrote:Drosera capensis x spatulata exists. It is still a relatively 'rare' plant in my opinion so I doubt there's cultivars as such. There's probably a lot of variation given that it is a cross.

Here's a video by sundewman on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906g0cjL0po
I was just thinking that since there are different forms of capensis and different forms of spatulata then there could be more than just one hybridization between them. Maybe using an albino cape to 'wash out' the color in the hybrid, or a spatulata with an all red cape to accentuate the color of the hybrid.
It should certainly be possible to get different varieties of the cross - its just a matter of doing it and spreading it around in cultivation. As for washing the colours out with an albino cape, I don't think it works like that. I'm pretty sure that the gene for anthocyanin (red pigment) production is either present in normal varieties or absent in albino varieties. So you can't really have half-half, it's either present or absent. (I could be wrong with this).
However, if you can manage to find a version of D. spatulata without that gene (i.e. albino) then you could probably create an albino cross.
By SundewWolf
fattytuna wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:

It should certainly be possible to get different varieties of the cross - its just a matter of doing it and spreading it around in cultivation. As for washing the colours out with an albino cape, I don't think it works like that. I'm pretty sure that the gene for anthocyanin (red pigment) production is either present in normal varieties or absent in albino varieties. So you can't really have half-half, it's either present or absent. (I could be wrong with this).
However, if you can manage to find a version of D. spatulata without that gene (i.e. albino) then you could probably create an albino cross.

A while ago someone posted on this forum about Drosera Capensis "sunset". It's apparently a cross between Cape 'all red' and Cape 'alba'. Looks almost like an alba except for faint orangish-pink in the 'hairs'. I only saw it once on ebay, which is where the 'washed out' color was shown more. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/for-a ... 21222.html
Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!