FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Pretty sure that they're spore capsules (spore pods?) and are perfectly normal.
By FlyTrap Hunter
evenwind wrote:Pretty sure that they're spore capsules (spore pods?) and are perfectly normal.
Cool. I guess they will make more sphagnum moss? They look like Christmas lights from where I am. Image

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
nimbulan wrote:It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if those are spore capsules you are very lucky. Sphagnum very very rarely produces any.
Sphagnum moss grows wild in my yard. I don't know if you know what a Pocosan is but that is where CPs grow in the wild in NC and I have one on my property. I guess it is basically a spring. What are the chances of that? I am going to attempt to separate some moss and grow it out.
I have a aquatic, semiaquatic and more of a land type sphagnum moss and a lot of other moss also. I have Sundews growing wild in the moss. I never appreciated moss so much.
I would love to share it with people on this forum. Its a mess right now because it has grass and pine debris in it but I am working on cleaning it up and growing it out. I wish I could dig a pond and grow it in the ground. The moss in the cups were completely dried out and colored up and is alive after rewetting. When it is dry, it crumbles up real easy with your fingers and is great for starting seeds. I am not bragging; I am just excited and have share it with several people already. They brag about it to me. Image I don't have to buy lfsm any more.
I was amazed at how fast it has grown up in just a few weeks since I checked it out.
But with the humidity and the mosquitoes, let's say it's a blessing and a curse to live in a swamp. ImageImage
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yep those are spore capsules. Like the ones mine are producing.
Attachments:
5A01B923-F448-4A57-B757-6479E47A235C.jpeg
5A01B923-F448-4A57-B757-6479E47A235C.jpeg (820.55 KiB) Viewed 4464 times

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!