FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By camsdad66
Hi,
Ordered some N. Rafflesiana seed from an overseas seller on eBay. Still waiting for it to arrive. Went back to the ad and realized the harvest date was December 1, 2018!
Guess I'm screwed on any of the seeds germinating? Does anyone have any experience with Nepenthes seed that old sprouting? Guess I'm hoping for a miracle? The seeds and shipping only ran me like $20, but that's not the issue, I wanted to try to grow some little "Raffles"! Appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
I've personally never tried Neps from seed, but, from what I've read, freshness is key. The recommendations I've seen almost all say sow within 30 days of harvest, 60 tops.
However, unless you can get a refund, you've got nothing to lose. Sow them and see what happens.
Maybe others with experience with nep seeds will chime in with some stories of unexpected success from older seeds.
Good luck.
By camsdad66
Thanks for the reply, ChefDean. I'll go ahead and wow them, of course, but my expectations will be low. Wish I had seen the harvest date before I ordered the seeds. Can't fault the seller, they were being honest! If anything happens, I'll let y'all know. (Yes, I said "y'all, I'm from the South!) LOL.

By camsdad66
*sow them, not "wow" them. Although if "wowing" them would make a difference, I might try it!

By ChefDean
camsdad66 wrote:*sow them, not "wow" them. Although if "wowing" them would make a difference, I might try it! Image
Wowing them is always a good plan B, we knew what you meant.
I saw your "y'all", it's an everyday word here in Tennessee. Now, all y'all go have yourselves a lick of fun, 'specially your mom n them.
By camsdad66
Love it! In New Orleans, where I'm from "we ate by ya momma and Dem" is a local favorite, among other colorful sayings!

By praxxus
That is almost a year ago. This, combined with the fact that they are ebay seeds, make me suspect that nothing will come up. I don't really know though. Miracles happen!
By camsdad66
Yes, probably will take a miracle, but I'm gunna give it a try, nothing to lose at this point.

1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!