FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By sundown
Last time I had a VFT, I'm sure now I killed it with tap water.
Now back to try it the right way after reading this web site.

Bought a small one ffom the FlytrapStore, arrived Feb 13th, very nice looking.
I babied it for the first 2 weeks in front of a South facing window, then put it outside for son Sun light.
Live in the S.F. Bay area & we were having a cold spell, so took her in for the night. Now I just leave her out all the time.

But a question, we are getting some rain this week, she is on a table that doesn't drain all that fast, worried that sitting in water to much can do harm, but not sure. Should I put her in a cup to raise her out of the standing water?

Also bought another at Lowe's for $5, info said it needed to be in a terrarium with a light. I put it in a cool storage area for a few days & then put it outside with the other one. Can't tell if took unkindly to that, but its also sitting in standing water. It is my cheap experiment, love to see it grow this Summer.
By FlyTrap Hunter
sundown wrote:Last time I had a VFT, I'm sure now I killed it with tap water.
Now back to try it the right way after reading this web site.

Bought a small one ffom the FlytrapStore, arrived Feb 13th, very nice looking.
I babied it for the first 2 weeks in front of a South facing window, then put it outside for son Sun light.
Live in the S.F. Bay area & we were having a cold spell, so took her in for the night. Now I just leave her out all the time.

But a question, we are getting some rain this week, she is on a table that doesn't drain all that fast, worried that sitting in water to much can do harm, but not sure. Should I put her in a cup to raise her out of the standing water?

Also bought another at Lowe's for $5, info said it needed to be in a terrarium with a light. I put it in a cool storage area for a few days & then put it outside with the other one. Can't tell if took unkindly to that, but its also sitting in standing water. It is my cheap experiment, love to see it grow this Summer.
Hi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us pictures.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By sundown
[quote]FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Hi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us picturesHi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us picturesHi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us pictures[/quote

Thanks ror the wellcome & reply.
I did find some cups that raise them up & out of standing water. The VFT from Lowe's looks a little limp, but maybe its because I put it outside too soon or normal? The one from Flytrap looks like its has a flower stem coming up. I'll wait a little longer before I cut it off. I ordered some soil mix, I'd like to setup a small pot & see if that flower stem grows, beginners luck maybe. :-D

Ken

First arrived from Flytrap.com

After 1 month, think its growing a flower

From Lowe's
By Kenneth
How’s the Lowe’s venus fly trap?
By FlyTrap Hunter
sundown wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Hi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us picturesHi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us picturesHi welcome. I would dump the water out or try to save it for later if you don't get much rain. Make sure your fly traps are absorbing the water but don't let it be full for days. Here in North Carolina, in the summer, I can leave my plants in standing water all the time but it's hot here. You will have to be the judge. It will need a lot of sun. If it is too much water, the tips on the new growth will be black. Those Lowe's vfts are fine. The growers keep getting nicer plants. You should send us pictures[/quote

Thanks ror the wellcome & reply.
I did find some cups that raise them up & out of standing water. The VFT from Lowe's looks a little limp, but maybe its because I put it outside too soon or normal? The one from Flytrap looks like its has a flower stem coming up. I'll wait a little longer before I cut it off. I ordered some soil mix, I'd like to setup a small pot & see if that flower stem grows, beginners luck maybe. :-D

Ken

First arrived from Flytrap.com

After 1 month, think its growing a flower

From Lowe's
I think they are still wet. What did you get from FTC? Is the red color from getting cold? And the store bought or any fly traps for that matter need to be acclimated to the sunlight and your area. With flytraps, I just put mine out and let them adjust. They will be fine as long as not super hot and then I would slowly give them a hour of direct light per day and keep adding hours until you can leave it out. Keep us posted

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By sundown
I think they are still wet. What did you get from FTC? Is the red color from getting cold? And the store bought or any fly traps for that matter need to be acclimated to the sunlight and your area. With flytraps, I just put mine out and let them adjust. They will be fine as long as not super hot and then I would slowly give them a hour of direct light per day and keep adding hours until you can leave it out. Keep us posted
Indeed, they are soaked. I moved then just inside the patio, out of the rain, but still getting any morning Sun. Both plants are just labeled Dionaea muscipula's. Been raining all week, but a warm storm, they say sunny & 65-70 all next week. The plant from Lowe's has lost some traps & the leaves turning brown, hoping it cheers up when it drys out & gets more Sun. I've seen others post inages of poor looking plants that have recovered, may have put it out too soon. Time will tell & I may buy another when not in Dormancy.. I appreciate any & all help & doing a lot of forum posts from other beginners.

Ken
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!