FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sunnship
Ok, so under the FAQ about feeding bugs to your VFT; I read this:
If you grow your plants outside, the answer to your question is never. They will catch all the food the need on their own. I was skeptical of this myself when I started growing Venus Fly Traps, but in fact it is rare to see an open trap! They are very good at luring and capturing their own food.

If you grow your plant inside, or if you just can't stand the temptation, feeding them a couple of insects a month would be sufficient.
Ok, so if their traps are closed all the time by catching their own bugs when outside... then why can't I feed them bugs indoors all the time if a trap is open? Why only a couple (2?) a month?
By tom_e_boi
sunnship wrote:Ok, so if their traps are closed all the time by catching their own bugs when outside... then why can't I feed them bugs indoors all the time if a trap is open? Why only a couple (2?) a month?
They mention that two bugs a month would be sufficient, as in more than plenty to keep them happy and healthy. I don't think they mean that you SHOULD only feed them just two bugs a month. Just what it would take to keep them growing their best. As you said, there's no way for them to ration the amount of bugs that they can catch outside. There have been times where I kept feeding my flytraps until every trap was full. It doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest bit. I say, feed them as many bugs as you want. Just make sure that they get plenty of light, it takes lots of energy to digest all of those full bellies. :mrgreen:
tom_e_boi liked this
By sunnship
Thank you! Yesterday was a nice sunny day.... today is cloudy. :( Poor little VFT. Hopefully our sunny California sun will come back soon!
By polyakov
Not like dies but closes forever... I wanna be in California)))
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!