FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By Alvin 415
katya_dog1 wrote:So you're growing on an open shelf. Could you give me an approximation of Day/Night temps and relative humidity? I notice in the pictures that the Jamban is wet. Do you mist to help them along?

And last but not least, what type of lighting do you use? Thanks for any answer, I find myself more and more interested in Nepenthes, and Hamata is near the top of the list.
Right now, the readings are: 72.1 F. 53% RH.

My observations are usually around:
Days: 70-80 F. ~40-45 RH.
Nights: 60-70 F. ~50 RH.

This will be my first summer growing highlands on a rack, so we'll see how it goes with the heat.

I try (but don't always remember) to mist once in the morning and once at night.

Brads Greenhouse says to mist the tendrils, but not the crown, because crown rot. But as you pointed out, that jamban is wet. My advice would be that is probably safer to follow Brad's advice, and not mist the entire plant like I do, because I'm new at this.

Each shelf has two 2 foot T5HO 6400K bulbs.

Hamatas are really interesting plants. They have a reputation of being challenging to grow, but I think they can acclimate to different conditions. There's a grower on the boards with a big vining hamata, grown on a windowsill.

You should try more nepenthes!
Last edited by Alvin 415 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By katya_dog1
I watch Brad's Greenhouse, I currently follow his directions for misting and have pitchers that actually ballon on my Miranda.

I hope to eventually obtain Hamata, Edwardsiana, and Villosa. While Villosa and Edwardsiana are, obviously, out of my experience range, Hamata might be obtainable I think.

Thank you for the information!
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Alvin 415
katya_dog1,

You're welcome!

I encourage you to give them a try. N. hamata has become my favorite species to grow.

I also recommend N. robcantleyi x hamata hybrid from BE. Here's a nice write up:
http://ngcarnivorousplants.blogspot.com ... amata.html
In my experience, this is a tough and hardy hybrid. I'm looking forward to seeing just how toothy it will get as it matures.

Happy growing!
Alvin 415 liked this
By katya_dog1
I emailed Wistuba, and he told me that plants are generally 2-4 inches in diameter, possibly with pitchers when you buy them.
By Alvin 415
charlie wrote:Cool grow list! How big did you buy your wistuba hamata's and how fast did they get that big?
Thanks! My Wistuba clones are still very small. I've had them for a couple of months now, and the growth is barely noticeable.

The pics of hamata pitchers in my growlist are from a bigger plant I bought in February from another nursery. This one is a Borneo Exotics clone BE-3380.

In my experience, my highlanders grow much slower than my intermediates. And my ultra-highlanders even slower.

My BE-3380 has only produced 3 pitchers in 6 months. But, they are worth the wait! Here is a picture of the newest pitcher to open. It is the toothiest pitcher in my entire collection.
Hamata 20150810.jpg
Hamata 20150810.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
Hamata side 20150810.jpg
Hamata side 20150810.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
katya_dog1 wrote:I emailed Wistuba, and he told me that plants are generally 2-4 inches in diameter, possibly with pitchers when you buy them.
In my experience:
1. All of the plants had at least one pitcher. Some had several.
2. The biggest plant I received barely exceeded 2 inches.

Here is a picture (taken this morning) of the macrophylla I received. I got this plant 2 months ago, so it was smaller than this when received. This macrophylla looked giant compared to the other plants I received. :lol:

That said, I was very happy with my order, and will order from Wistuba again. I understand that these plants are in high demand, so they will sell out when they are still very small.
Macrophylla 20150810.jpg
Macrophylla 20150810.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
By katya_dog1
Alvin 415 wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:I emailed Wistuba, and he told me that plants are generally 2-4 inches in diameter, possibly with pitchers when you buy them.
In my experience:
1. All of the plants had at least one pitcher. Some had several.
2. The biggest plant I received barely exceeded 2 inches.
He must have been talking about the easy to grow, much less demanded species. Or maybe he just lied. :lol: Who knows? Two inches or less is VERY tiny, but for the price, who can complain? He's got the cheapest Nepenthes (for a non-bulk buyer) on the market.

Alvin, have you thought about getting the Gunung Katopasa Hamata clone? The teeth are HUGE, and the pictures on his website make it look stunning. http://www.wistuba.com/nepenthes/sulawe ... topasa.php
katya_dog1 liked this
By Alvin 415
katya_dog1 wrote: Alvin, have you thought about getting the Gunung Katopasa Hamata clone? The teeth are HUGE, and the pictures on his website make it look stunning.
:shock:

I don't remember seeing that one for sale before. It does say, "This new introduction..."

It is going on my To Buy List. :D

Thanks for telling me about it!
By katya_dog1
Did you see the black pitcher?

When I saw it, I thought; Gotta have it! It says not available now, but I will keep an eye on it for when it's ready.

Looks so much cooler than the other Hamatas, IMO.
By iamjacksplants
Alvin415, that's a daunting grow list! Beautiful plants! Can I trouble you for the name of the plant in the photo "Nep 20150526.jpeg"

Cheers,
-@.
By iamjacksplants
Alvin 415 wrote:iamjacksplants,

Thanks! I misnamed that pic. I meant to type Ceph, not Nep.

That plant is a typical Cephalotus follicularis.
Thanks for the info! It's gorgeous and I must have one! I'm super new and very hesitant to advance to any pitcher's too early. I've been lucky so far and I don't wanna push it, especially with anything that awesome. In your opinion, what are a couple pitchers that would be good stepping stones toward that goal?

Thanks,
-@.
By Alvin 415
iamjacksplants wrote:In your opinion, what are a couple pitchers that would be good stepping stones toward that goal?
I'm by no means an expert on pitchers. I consider myself a beginner, having only about a year of experience. But, I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

General opinion/advice for my fellow beginners:

1. Requirements are basically the same.
A $5 plant has the same requirements as a more expensive plant of the same type (lowland/intermediate/highland/etc.). So start with a $5 plant. If it thrives, move up to something more rare/expensive.

2. Growing costs are the same.
Once you know you can grow a particular type of plant, buy something you really desire. After all, you're spending the same amount of $ in electricity, so you might as well grow a plant you really want.

3. Grow what you like.
Expensive doesn't mean better. It just means that it is rare and in high demand. Many relatively inexpensive plants are beautiful and interesting. I spend more time admiring my N. bicalcarata (Wistuba sells these for about $11), than some of my other plants that cost more.

4. Go with what works for you.
There's lots of advice out there on the "correct" way to grow a plant. But, what works for one grower, might not work for another. So find out what works best for you, and go with it, even though some folks will tell you that you're doing it wrong.

Pitcher Plant Recommendations:

Nepenthes:
N. ventrata. Extremely hardy, and should produce pitchers in most indoor environments. I think this is the easiest nep to grow indoors, in average room temperature/humidity. No lights required. Just a window with a couple of hours of sun.

Sarracenia:
If you live in a zone where you can grow these outside, these are beautiful and interesting plants to try. There are lots of inexpensive ($5) hybrids available.

Cephalotus:
In my experience, cephs are a lot hardier than they are reputed to be. I'd start with a "typical" because they are less expensive than named cultivars. I'd also start with something more established than a tiny plant recently out of tissue culture. Acclimation will go easier that way.

Just because a ceph is a "typical" it doesn't mean it is boring. Some of my "typicals" rival my named cephs in beauty.

The named cephs just cost more because they are more rare, even though they may not look all that different from a "typical."

I encourage you to try a ceph. In my opinion, they deserve a place in every carnivorous plant collection!

Good luck!
Alvin 415 liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!