FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By dark5tar
Well, since I couldn't find any peat at lowes, and am currently keeping my 2 plants in the bottom of the cube, I fashioned a little grow light thingy to hopefully help, I used a heat lamp dome from my old reptile set up with a 75w equivalent CFL and some of those funny metal build your own cube shelving things ...its not fancy, but hopefully it will help --

thoughts? ideas for improvement?
By jht-union
Sounds like it will work, your plant should start new growth,and i see a large window in the back, i'm guessing if it gets that light too it will help as well!!!!!
By jht-union
also remember that when you are going to put them outside if you do, use a white plastic container, or a black plastic container, not trasparent, that will cook the roots fast if expose to direct sun!

Good look!
By Matt
dark5tar wrote:I used a heat lamp dome from my old reptile set up with a 75w equivalent CFL and some of those funny metal build your own cube shelving things ...its not fancy, but hopefully it will help --
Be VERY careful with that heat lamp. Any sort of lighting that puts out heat should really be avoided because it can cook your plants. Ideally, the lighting should put out no heat. This is why fluorescent lighting and LEDs are good. Using a heat lamp could kill your plants if they get cooked on top.
By Matt
Dionae wrote:I think he only meant the reflector from the heat lamp with a CFL in place of the heat lamp.
Ah, after re-reading it, I think you're right! That should be fine then :)

In fact, it could probably be moved a bit closer to the plants...
By dark5tar
Thanks! also I realized last night this probably could have gone in the terrarium spot --oops ( feel free to move it if you need too! )

Anyway, yes, there are 2 windows in that corner one east facing and one south facing, but due to the short days I don't think the plant just sitting close to the south window was getting enough light --

Yes its a CFL bulb in a heat light dome, and also when I was arranging stuff, I noticed what appeared to be new growth on the flytrap!

I have the light itself about 3 inches from the top of the cube. Glad you guys liked my makeshift plant light!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!