FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By GammaZeta
Hi all,

I've been reading around the forums regarding a green algae like substance consistently growing on my vft's soil. I mixed a 50:50 Perlite/ Peat Moss medium but did not "boil" or "rinse" the peat moss (which I'm assuming may be one of the causes of this algae/mold). It began growing on the perlite and I have tried physically removing the substance via scraping or removing the perlite and placed moist peat moss over the areas to drown out its source of sunlight. However, it still seems to be growing on my soil. Will this be an ongoing battle? Should I even consider investing in a pesticide or placing sand on over the soil? Will this green algae/mold harm my plant? Should I not water my plant for a few days and let the sun bake it? or may that harm my plant?
I'd like to remove it permanently. Also, I rarely top water my plant and it receives a hearty 7-8 hours of direct sunlight a day (unless its cloudy!)

Also since I've already made a thread... I have cut off dead traps but left the (stalk, leaf?) of the plant for photosynthesis, yet whenever I cut a piece off the next day it turns black which eventually spreads down the remainder of the leaf. Eventually this will lead down to the bulb. My question is what should I do to prevent any harmful mold growing on the dead leaves as I wont be able to cut it off without physically touching the bulb? (if this makes any sense!) Should I even worry?

Thank you,

Gz
Last edited by GammaZeta on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Matt
Usually algae growth is caused by lack of sunlight and by keeping the soil too wet. If you want to be rid of the algae, the easiest thing to do is repot into fresh media, put the plant somewhere that gets lots of direct sunlight and don't keep it too wet. Remember that the soil should be just damp.

As for trimming off the leaves, I don't recommend snipping off any leaves or leaf parts until the entire leaf turns black. Though, once a leaf is on its way out, it usually doesn't take too long for the entire thing to turn brown or black regardless of whether or not you snip off part of it.

Hope this helps!
By GammaZeta
Thanks for the advice!
My plant gets about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight and I bottom water my plant with about an inch of water a day, would you suggest cutting down bottom watering to about once every other day depending on the moisture of the soil?
By Jaws
Id like to know where our sun is in England lately *sob*

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!