FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
Okay... This, looks like a sundew or something. I have no idea what fudge it is, but it looks like a little sundew thingy. Unless it's that moss thing. That would be sad. Down right sad. I tried to take some macro shots, but they look a little ugly. Took so much time trying to fix the flash and the auto stuff. But it should be okay for you to see.

But it looks like a SUNDEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help, maybe?

I feel shameful I still don't know how to put a picture here, but to make it fair-ish, I'll give you a link.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous- ... otoid=2378

Hey, if it is a sundew, I must make it grow. I MUST!!!!!!!! Dormancy or not? You decide. I'm so excited! But if it is something else, I'ma fail!
By Matt
Yeah, that's definitely a sundew. It's a bit small to tell what species, but it's probably a capensis.

Don't worry about getting it to grow. It will grow whether you want it to or not. Go ahead and let it got dormant with your VFT.
By lemonlily
Thanks for the information.

That's risky. Do you think a tiny plant like that would survive in the cold?

I'd like to keep it inside so I can stare at it. Would it be wrong to do that?

Yay, I have a sundew now! I've wanted one a few months ago. Yay, a Dente and a sundew of some sort for $7.75.
By Matt
lemonlily wrote:That's risky. Do you think a tiny plant like that would survive in the cold?
It should if you don't let it freeze really hard.
lemonlily wrote:I'd like to keep it inside so I can stare at it. Would it be wrong to do that?
No, you could keep it inside. If you're really worried about it, put it in a separate pot.
By lemonlily
I'm not really that worried about it, but I'm just thinking it'd be safer to keep it inside.

Oh, and I don't have peat moss. Should I pick off a little lump from the pot and place the plant on the soil? Hmm... What should I use as a pot? Oh, that's fail. I hope if I do something like that, the plant wouldn't dry out in a day!
By Veronis
Nice!

It's impossible to be sure with it being so small, but yes it's a sundew of some kind.

My guess is D. Intermedia (http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedba ... rmedia.htm) - it can sprout from stray pieces of their roots in peat-based media. It may have been with your flytrap's original media when you bought it.

Do you have any other sundew right now?

I could be wrong, there are tons of species of drosera.

I'd treat it as a tropical (no dormancy) - the thing just sprouted so even if it's temperate it can skip this dormancy anyway. Give it as much light as you can give it (up to 14 hours - this time of year direct sunlight is fine even if it's a species that typically needs "filtered" sun; fluorescent light would probably work best). Night temps not to drop below probably around 70 or 60. You can repot it separately (two-thirds peat / one-third sand, or two-thirds peat / one-third perlite) if it's gonna be tool cold where it is now. If you don't have any sand or perlite (or you'd have to buy it), you can plant it in 100% peat for now.

If you repot it, dig it out, along with a heaping spoonful of its soil, with a spoon. This way its tiny roots remain mostly undisturbed.
By lemonlily
Thanks.

Right now I have the Dente and the sundew. Nothing else. I moved the sundew a little closer to the soil a few hours ago because it was near the rim of the pot. But the roots should be fine.

I need a tiny container for planting the sundew. Any ideas? I don't have peat moss on hand right now, but since it's a little plant, I think I will "borrow" a small lump from the soil of my Dente. It gets around 20 degrees celcius at night inside, I think. You thinks that's fine?

Ahahaha... Do you think the sundew came from roots or do you think the seed sprouted? I hope there's more in there, lol.
By lemonlily
Thanks. I hope the moving of the sundew didn't hurt it too much...
By lemonlily
Thanks!

Hey, I have a really large photo of that sundew, and I noticed it has red dots on the dew stuff. Would that help on figuring out what type of sundew it is?
By Veronis
Definitely doesn't narrow it down.

I'm so happy for you that you got a surprise sundew though lol

You were talking about wanting one not a few days before you found it in your soil. :mrgreen:
By lemonlily
Yeah I've always wanted one. The day before I found it, I told my mom I wanted one. The next day, I found one! But it's too tiny... I want it to grow! BIG!
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!