FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jammin
Hi has anyone got adive for me? i got my new plant delierverd today and its in a sorry state. The traps are all closed and it is a bit flattened to be honest. It has plenty of water when it arrived. Does this mean it could die or will be recover. Any advice is welcomed as im a novice when it comes to venus flytraps. Cheers.
By Matt
Did you plant come potted or bare root? Traps always close during shipment. There's nothing that can be done about that. Flattening can occur too and that's fine. But if the rhizome or leaves are damaged in some way, like smashed or ripped, that's probably bad. If it's in tact and not smashed, just pot it up, follow the care rules on the main site and it will recover just fine.
Matt liked this
By Jammin
Hi matt, Yea it came potted from england and i live in ireland so the delivery was only one day. Its a ruby royale i bought from a site called bugtraps.com. Ill have to get a few pictures taken when it freshens up a bit. Im just hoping it doesnt die on me. None of the leaves seem damaged in any way, its more like its been upside down in transit. Im new to VFT so i need all the help i can get. Im stuck with keeping it on my windowsill indoors because the weather here is crap. Cheers for taking the time to reeply to my message matt. :-)
By Jammin
Hey Darkrai, does yours live outside all the time i take it? You would get better summers than us i'd say. Cheers :D
By Darkrai283
Um... I usually put it by the window or under my grow lights as there aren't enough space for all my plants to put it on the windowsill but I usually never put it outside as in winter, last year, the temperatures were below -15c!!!!!!
By Jammin
Oh i see, i was looking at grow lights but ill probably hold on to see how i go first for a few months. Im new to VFT as you prob can tell. Need help and understanding about the conditions which these plants grow best so im grateful of any help i can get. :P
By Matt
Jammin wrote:None of the leaves seem damaged in any way, its more like its been upside down in transit.
Oh, it should be fine then. As long as the rhizome is fairly large and in tact, flytraps can grow back from losing all of their leaves (not that this happened in your case).
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!