FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I am having no luck with getting ping seeds to germinate. I've sown on chopped sphagnum, peat/sand, and peat/perlite with zero success. I can sprout sarrs, flytraps, and sundews without a problem. Can anyone give me some pointers?
By twitcher
I use only sifted peat that has been boiled and rinsed so it has a low tds when soaked in or or distilled water. Tamp the peat down slightly so that it has a smooth surface, to better assure seeds will have a good contact with the surface. Try not to spread the seeds too thickly and mist gently to help make contact with the media. Cover with plastic wrap and hold in place with a rubber band. Then wait, making sure the media does not dry out. I use the tray method with a hole in the bottom of the pot.

The ping seeds I have successfully germinated have all been very fresh. I have had success with this method with warm temperate and mexican -type pings. I don't know how long ping seeds remain viable, a few weeks of age is the max for ping seeds I have successfully germinated.

You must basically set up a mini-greenshouse for them so that they don't need to compete with moss and other pests. They are fragile when young and don't tolerate much change in the environment. Once seedlings get to about 1/8" in size I give a very fine spritz of very weak maxsea to help them grow, but only every couple of weeks. It's OK to take the plastic off for a few mintues to provide a feeding, but I would leave it in place until the plants are at least 1/2"

Keep in mind that the quality of the seeds and age make a huge difference in success. I fail with a lot more seeds then I succeed with.
Supercazzola liked this
By Panman
twitcher wrote:The ping seeds I have successfully germinated have all been very fresh.
jeff wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:23 pm use only very fresh seeds, most of the unsuccessful results are in germinations of old seeds
How would you define very fresh? Days, weeks, a month?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!