FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By kwoook
Does anyone know how to get pinker leaves on a p. Florian? The plant came in a beautiful pink color over the winter, but over the past few months it's been putting out green leaves. I recently put it under two t5ho 6500k lights and haven't noticed much of a difference. Below are some pictures of the mother plant when it arrived versus now with some pullings I've made. It might look a little wet due to just being sprayed with a water bottle.

Is it just the difference between summer and winter leaves or am I not doing something right. This is my first experience with pings so any advice would be very helpful. Thanks! ImageImageImage

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
How far from the lights is it? The growth looks a little loose to me. The winter leaves are smaller and narrower for me; summer leaves are as in the photo. I have had some issues with leaves growing less pink on some plants but not on Florian. That said, I know some people add some chelates iron to their mix; reportedly if you add too much things can get so dark that veins can almost disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By kwoook
Hi Bob, thanks for replying. It's about 6 inches from the light. Would you recommend putting it in the media a little deeper? I can also try the iron. Not sure what dose to use though. I have some iron glycinate 28 mg caps that I can experiment with!

By jeff
go outside (not in full sun), it seems to me that it lacks light.
or uses a light identical to the sunlight in color and intensity

for me the pink or red color of the leaves is just the UV reaction of the antocyanes from plant cells , nothing more, but I'm wrong can be
jeff, jeff liked this
By Bob Beer
6” from HO T5s? It’s getting plenty of light. Mine are more like 15” away and they do fine. (4’ 4 tube fixtures but I actually removed one bulb.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By kwoook
Hmm maybe I'll try sticking them in a little deeper and give them some indirect sunlight outside a couple of hours a day to see if I notice a difference.

By kwoook
Actually I got lazy and put them outside where they get morning sun but not shaded from hot afternoons. I'll post pictures maybe in a week or so to see if there r any changes

By kwoook
Hi so I left them outside for a while and the main plant started to suffer from some type of rot on the leaves so I moved them back inside. As a result the main plant started to shoot out a lot of smaller plants from the side and the leaf pullings I had are still growing green. Not sure but I might keep them a but closer under the fluorescent light, and then see how they do there.

By kwoook
It like... Mutated and all these little plantlet started coming out the main plantImage

By kwoook
Oohh. Also! Thanks so much for your replies Jeff, I really appreciate the follow up. I separated out the main plant and I started noticing these small black dots on the ends of the leaves and the next day, it would look the leaf end was weeping a little. And then while I was moving some plants over to another pot, I also found some thrips. So I think that was what was causing the damage as well. I have some neem oil extract, so I diluted it and gave both pots a good spray and saturation. Hopefully that'll help with my problem.

Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!