FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
Yeah, once I tried to type in Steve's website on the URL thing but it just went to FlyTrapCare... It got be confused for a little while. Lol.

Hopefully if people buy enough plants and Matt gets more money he can make more space for growing Neps. They're big!
By kittyklaws
lemonlily wrote:Yeah, once I tried to type in Steve's website on the URL thing but it just went to FlyTrapCare... It got be confused for a little while. Lol.
lol i know, I tried that too :lol:
By manzano167
AH! So what ever he had from his store theirs going to be in flytrapstore? EX: You dont have B-52 or Fussed tooth so he is going to put to the store in late spring, summer, and early fall?
By Matt
manzano167 wrote:AH! So what ever he had from his store theirs going to be in flytrapstore? EX: You dont have B-52 or Fussed tooth so he is going to put to the store in late spring, summer, and early fall?
Not necessarily. Steve sold off most of his plants, so not everything he sold in his store will be in the FlytrapStore. We're mostly going to be selling plants that I produce through tissue culture this winter and spring.
By 95slvrZ28
W00t!!! I got my plants! I came home after helping a buddy move into his new place and I had a shipping notification in the mailbox. I promptly drove down the street to my post office to get my plants. Here's what it looked like:

I struggled to open that darn box for about 5 minutes (that glue is intense!), the plants were packed under some newspaper, in a zip lock, and secured to the inside of the box with a piece of tape:

After I opened the zip lock, the plants had a still moist paper towel around their roots.

Matt sends a small care sheet along with the plants, and following its directions I went to place the plants in some distilled water for about 30 minutes. Upon looking at my shipping invoice, I had a note written from Matt informing me he sent me 3 plants! My original plan was to just plant the Capensis along with my current VFTs, but now that I had three of them I decided to get a new pot for two of the three. Giddy as a school boy (and still letting the plants soak in the water) I quickly drove to the store and picked out a new pot. I arrived at home, mixed up some new soil for the new pot and delicately attempted to transplant my new plants. I learned quickly that Capensis is sticky...both to itself and its soil. So, after much struggling, trying to sort leaves from roots etc. Here's what I got out of it:

Try as I might I wasn't able to rinse all of the dirt off of the poor plants...anyone have good tricks? Overall I'm very happy with my new plants!
Thanks Matt! I hope I don't kill your two years of hard work :shock: I'll try my hardest! I'll also recommend your store to anyone that I know who may be thinking about getting some CPs.
By Matt
I'm glad you're happy with them Blake. Thanks for posting that you got them and all the photos of them getting settled in. I hope they grow well for you!

One other thing that might help them get settled in is keeping the soil a bit moist for a few days. It looks dry in the photos (I've mentioned that before, so it's probably just the way the soil looks), but if you keep it damp, their roots will settle in better.

And yes, their leaves are incredibly sticky! Repotting them is always a challenge because soil sticks to them so much. I usually try to use forceps to keep them from getting too dirty, but it's still challenging even with the extra equipment.
By 95slvrZ28
Matt wrote:I'm glad you're happy with them Blake. Thanks for posting that you got them and all the photos of them getting settled in. I hope they grow well for you!

One other thing that might help them get settled in is keeping the soil a bit moist for a few days. It looks dry in the photos (I've mentioned that before, so it's probably just the way the soil looks), but if you keep it damp, their roots will settle in better.

And yes, their leaves are incredibly sticky! Repotting them is always a challenge because soil sticks to them so much. I usually try to use forceps to keep them from getting too dirty, but it's still challenging even with the extra equipment.
Yeah, the color is a bit off in those photos (I was shooting with auto white balance with a mix of sun and indoor lighting, so the camera was confused). The soil is a bit dry, but I think it takes a few days for the soil to fully absorb water to the surface. I've been watering them periodically throughout the day trying to get the soil up to its full water carrying capacity, but it's running out the bottom of the pot pretty readily (at least I have good drainage right?). I'll keep a close eye on them for the next few days and try to get the soil up to an acceptable level of dampness. The black pot is looking better now as far as how moist the soil is, so I think it just needs a little diffusion time (or maybe it's that Boulder 100% organic mix ;) )
By Matt
Sounds like you've been keeping a good eye on them and giving them enough water. I'm sure they'll be fine.

It's odd that your peat on top is dry. Usually peat wicks up water all the way to the top. When mixing up soil, I put all of the ingredients in a large bin and and add water and mix and mix and mix until everything is thoroughly moistened. Peat is actually a bit hydrophobic until it gets wet, then it soaks up water like a sponge. Next time you make a soil mix, I'd recommend thoroughly wetting it before you start putting it in the pot.
By 95slvrZ28
Hmm, that's a good idea. I did a little mixing of the water with the peat in the pot and I noticed it started holding water better after that, I probably just didn't get it mixed enough. Next time I mix I will definitely add water along the way...
By manzano167
Matt wrote:Not necessarily. Steve sold off most of his plants, so not everything he sold in his store will be in the FlytrapStore. We're mostly going to be selling plants that I produce through tissue culture this winter and spring.
Wait are you TC B-52 and fussed tooths? :roll:
By Matt
I have B52 going in TC now. Unfortunately my Fused Tooth cuttings didn't make it. I thought they were going to take. They didn't get contaminated, but they never produced callus, they just died after 3 months in jars and several replates.

I'm going to get Fused Tooth going in the spring when I have more tissue to work with. I should have some Fused Tooth plants available by the end of summer or early fall.
By jiege
Matt/Steve is there going to be international orders any time soon?

Would love to get my hands on these little devils :twisted:
By Matt
jiege wrote:Matt/Steve is there going to be international orders any time soon?

Would love to get my hands on these little devils :twisted:
Well, I'm set up now to get phytosanitary certificates done, so with that in place, I can probably start shipping orders internationally to most countries. It will be the responsibility of the person placing the order to know what requirements your country has for importation of plants.

I'll probably ship them in sterile cultures to make it easier. For some countries sterile cultures can be shipped freely without any accompanying paperwork. For other countries, they'll require a phytosanitary certification, and some countries will require a phytosanitary certification and import permits (depending on the number of plants ordered).

Once I work with a few people and figure out the process for different countries, it should be easier for me to ship internationally.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!