FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
madrone wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:20 am I knew I'd love Z-day - look at all these cool entries!!

I gathered up all the Z botanical matter that I have in the house (I think). A couple ZZ plant book ends to my favorite pinguicula (don't tell the others). Left to right:

ZZ.jpg
  • ZZ raven - almost black mature foliage that is stunningly contrasted by spring green colored new growth, which slowly morphs to almost-black. A very fun plant to watch as it transitions!
  • P. zecheri - the leaves, the LARGE flowers (they almost resemble streptocarpus flowers, ping-style, of course)
  • And my mature 'typical' ZZ that I've had for ~12 years
Another reason I 've been looking forward to Z-day, and my last Z-trivia, is that my sometimes-family-nickname was "Z" because of a z-shaped birthmark.

This has been a really engaging, inventive giveaway - hollyhock, you have quite the reputation as the giveaway queen, but dang! Thanks for hostess-ing this wild ride!
I immediately thought of pinguicula Zecheri . All those plants sound very interesting. I have truly learned and seen many new things. I award you +100 bonus "Z" :lol: and thank you for your kind words :D
By hollyhock
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:44 am Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Well look at your artistic and creative side :lol:
I award you +50 bonus :D
By hollyhock
Well we've reached the end of the alphabet and I must admit I'm a little sad it's over. I have said it before and I will say it again. I have really enjoyed seeing new and different plants. Seeing everyone participating, being creative and hopefully having lots of fun along the way.
I said I have one final twist. And here's how it goes :

If you posted 1-13 letters +50 bonus

If you posted 14-25 letters +100 bonus

If you posted all 26 letters +150 bonus

If you made something by hand like a drawing or a little scene add +50 total (not per post)
If you wrote poetry +50 total (not per post)
If you told a joke or riddle +25 total (not per post)
If your posts had a theme add +100 total (not per post.) Example elaineo parsley, sage, rosemary, and Thyme Scarborough fair theme.
And now it's time for everyone to tally their scores. I will wait until tomorrow sometime so you have a chance to add bonus points and calculate your total.
Good luck and again I'm grateful to all of you for playing another hollyhock giveaway game.
elaineo liked this
By DragonsEye
hollyhock wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:32 pm That is quite an extraordinary flower. And you stumped me on boggle. :?:
Hint: It was inspired by Elaineo :mrgreen:
hollyhock, elaineo liked this
By thepitchergrower
By letters you mean plants??? :? Or letters per the post? I'm a bit confused. Thank you for the second opportunity.
By hollyhock
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:33 pm By letters you mean plants??? :? Or letters per the post? I'm a bit confused. Thank you for the second opportunity.
Like Panman said. How many letters of the alphabet did you participate?
thepitchergrower liked this
By Adelae
Do visual gags count as jokes? Like the tea plant that was actually just my norfolk pine with a tea bag on it?
hollyhock liked this
By thepitchergrower
Adelae wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:57 pm Do visual gags count as jokes? Like the tea plant that was actually just my norfolk pine with a tea bag on it?
It says "If you told" :?
By hollyhock
DragonsEye wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:03 pm
hollyhock wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:32 pm That is quite an extraordinary flower. And you stumped me on boggle. :?:
I have no clue. But if you had taken that Z plant to the Zilwalkee bridge? Man that would have been a million bonus points :lol:
By DragonsEye
hollyhock wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:53 pm
DragonsEye wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:03 pm
I have no clue. But if you had taken that Z plant to the Zilwalkee bridge? Man that would have been a million bonus points :lol:
Well if it stumped you .... a zucchini :mrgreen:
Since Elaineo posted a zucchini plant and you said you loved zucchinis, I thought you'd get it right away.
elaineo liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!