FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By happiness
I've always wanted to eat healthy. Luckily for me, I've yet to gain any real weight from eating unhealthily.. but I'm sure it'll catch up to me.. and I'm always tired and a lot of time energyless, but it could also be from lack of exercise!

It must be nice to be and feel healthy..
By Matt
happiness wrote:Luckily for me, I've yet to gain any real weight from eating unhealthily.
Weight gain is only one symptom of unhealthy eating. Cancer and heart disease are the ones that kill more people than obesity-related diseases, and someone can be of normal weight and still get cancer and heart disease.
happiness wrote:I'm always tired and a lot of time energyless, but it could also be from lack of exercise!
That's most likely due to diet.
happiness wrote:It must be nice to be and feel healthy.
It certainly is! If you want to feel better, start working more fruits and veggies into your diet and see how it goes :)
By cyph3r_gfy
Matt wrote:It certainly is! If you want to feel better, start working more fruits and veggies into your diet and see how it goes :)
I will second that and give a little helpful mental picture... I'll choose dinner since for most that is their important meal of the day.

Mentally cut your plate in half, and then in half again...

1 section should be your proteins. If you're a meat eater choose leaner meats like: chicken, turkey or fish. If you're not, you'll need multiple sources of non meat proteins to get all your amino acids. I pair them up to ensure I do, if I don't have a meat source (which contains all aminos). Good pairings would be grains and legumes, or nuts and seeds plus legumes. Now, you don't need to have all your proteins at once... you could have them throughout the day.

1 section should be a starch (complex carb). Carrots count as a starch/complex carb. I love that.

2 sections are for your green leafy vegetables or colorful mixed vegetables. I personally like to do a fresh spinach w/ garlic and a touch of olive oil.

While I do eat dinner very similar to the above, I also eat six times a day.... breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I'll add a typical day of food in the next post.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By cyph3r_gfy
My meals for today... mind you i don't eat this every day... this is just to give an idea. I've been taking nutrition very seriously the past few months. I started a workout program a while back and the results were impressive, but I realized that I could kick it up even higher with the right nutrition, portions, etc... Also, my daily protein intake is above 125g, which is significantly higher than most people... Just take out the protein shakes for an average intake.

Breakfast:
1 slice of whole grain bread, with natural peanut butter
4 or 5 strawberries
1 handful of nuts... I like walnuts, save half for later
1 small glass of juice.
8 oz Whey Protein shake

Mid-Morning snack:
1 plain greek yogurt w/ blueberries and a touch of honey.
Water

Lunch:
1 Sweet Kale, Vegetable Salad w/ honey and some homemade hot sauce
1 8oz Whey Protein Shake
I had a few raw carrots as well
More water

Mid-Day snack:
I eat an apple here, and the rest of those walnuts I saved from breakfast. All about pottasium for me here. I had Orange and Pineapple juice at breakfast, so I ate an apple. If I had just Orange juice, I would have eaten a banana. This helps with muscle cramping, as I have a workout in a couple hours.
Yet more water.

Dinner:
I'm a meat eater, so... I tend to have fish and only freshly caught in the wild, so I pay extra. Small portion. If I pick up a single fillet from the market, it feeds me for 3 days easily. This is also the only time I eat a meat. Tonight, I will switch this out with some non meat alternative such as hummus and whole grain bread.
More carrots... YAY! I love carrots... I eat them every day.
Fresh Spinach
Did I mention water?

Evening Snack:
Banana, because of the apple I had earlier...

So that's pretty balanced, with the exception of my protein intake. I'm full all day, and feel great all day. I used to take a nap the second I got home. Not anymore... I'm up until time for bed, and jump right out of bed in the morning. Well, jump might be an overstatement... if I had a tough workout, it's crawling and groaning...
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By coline
Oh, you guys would certainly love this, sorry that maybe you'll have to translate it, but just have a look:
http://ecocosas.com/noticias/danone-activia/
By Matt
Great meal plan cyph3r_gfy; definitely very healthy. In place of the whey protein, have you ever tried hemp protein or some other plant-based protein? I have read that for most people it is easier on the stomach and it is a "complete" protein, providing all of the essential amino acids.

And, if you haven't done so already, you should pick up the book, The China Study, that Ron mentions in his post here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/a-who ... ml#p179344

I borrowed it from a friend and have read the first few chapters. The data presented in the book is beyond eye-opening. It is essentially the details of what is presented in the "Forks over Knives" documentary. The hard science presented in the book is astonishing, backed with tons of citations of published papers from multiple independent research projects. The book essentially demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that animal-based protein (all forms -- even dairy and the lean, wild-caught meats) causes cancer when consumed in sufficient quantities. The correlation is as high as it is with smoking causing lung cancer!!! The magic number where cancer is almost certain to start, if conditions are right, has been shown in lab work to be somewhere between 10% and 20% of caloric intake coming from animal-based products. Anything over 20% does exacerbate the cancer growth and will promote cancer growth provided that there are conditions causing cancer cells to form. For an average male, that would only be 200 calories a day (based on a 2000 calorie diet) that should be coming from animal sources in order to be considered "safe".

But, as far as I'm concerned, I consider eating animal protein to be on par smoking, drinking and eating processed foods, so I almost completely avoid all animal products now. I think of them more as treats than as any part of my regular diet. For example, when I go out to eat, I might have something with cheese or butter in it or treat myself to some fish. When I go to a friend's house, I may eat some chicken or pork. But in terms of my day-to-day routine, I simply avoid animal products all together.
By Matt
coline wrote:Oh, you guys would certainly love this, sorry that maybe you'll have to translate it, but just have a look:
http://ecocosas.com/noticias/danone-activia/
Hah, that's funny! More information can be found by googling:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dannon+activia+lawsuit
Matt liked this
By coline
The most important fact that I see to this, is that, even in college Microbiology classes, our profesor (PHD degree) had a full lesson about the famous probiotics and everything, well, indeed they kind of help the organism... But to do what it natural to it, gain weight in case some disaster ocurred.. But, now no famines are around this areas and weight excess is the problem.
By happiness
Is "Forks over Knives" still on Netflix? I'd like to take a look at it.

And .. Can younger people have heart problems at an early age? Like for example say me at 20? Sometimes I'll actually have pressure in my chest, not really a pain but .. an annoyance somewhere in my chest every once in a while .. and I have no idea what it is .. Maybe its the beginning of heart problems!! O_O!!! Or am I too young? :?
By cyph3r_gfy
Matt wrote:Great meal plan cyph3r_gfy; definitely very healthy. In place of the whey protein, have you ever tried hemp protein or some other plant-based protein? I have read that for most people it is easier on the stomach and it is a "complete" protein, providing all of the essential amino acids.
I haven't looked into hemp proteins at all. I haven't had problems with my current 3.5lb jar of whey, but I have with previous protein supplement purchases... because of the sugar alcohols in them. I tend to buy most of my stuff from GNC, but have recently gotten into the habit of checking Whole Foods and similar places for my supplements.
Matt wrote:And, if you haven't done so already, you should pick up the book, The China Study, that Ron mentions in his post here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/a-who ... ml#p179344
I will look into it. Just finished "A Feast of Crows" and started "A Dance with Dragons" last night, so when I get through it... definitely!
By Matt
happiness wrote:Is "Forks over Knives" still on Netflix? I'd like to take a look at it.
Yes, last time I took a look it was still available on streaming Netflix.
happiness wrote:Can younger people have heart problems at an early age? Like for example say me at 20?
Anyone can have heart problems at any time, but it is highly unlikely to happen to someone in their 20s. Heart disease usually occurs from decades of poor diet.
cyph3r_gfy wrote:I haven't looked into hemp proteins at all.
This is the one I buy now: https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein/
cyph3r_gfy wrote:I haven't had problems with my current 3.5lb jar of whey
Like you, I never had any issues with whey protein either. I just changed to hemp after learning more about potential risks of eating animal-based food.
cyph3r_gfy wrote:I will look into it. Just finished "A Feast of Crows" and started "A Dance with Dragons" last night, so when I get through it... definitely!
That will be quite a change of pace from fantasy to hard science! But I think you'll be surprised with some of the information presented in the book. I know I am!
By cyph3r_gfy
Matt wrote:That will be quite a change of pace from fantasy to hard science! But I think you'll be surprised with some of the information presented in the book. I know I am!
Yeah, but I'm a reader. It'll only be a few nights of reading before I'm through it. My current book collection is bound to baffle many... "What color is your parachute" to "Implementing a Data Warehouse with SQL 2012" to "Life's Operating Manual" to the "Game of Thrones" series.

Back on track. Thanks for the link for the Hemp Proteins, will definitely look into it.
By coline
Matt, have you heard or tried the "miracle plant" moringa olerifera?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJb1BHmNbY[/youtube]

I have just heard about it and got some seeds because of my meliponiculture proyect, but then I realized that it is really a incredible plant, much better than any soy or other very good vegetables.

You may eat any part of the plant, may harvest it year round, its full of every nutrient in any bite!
By Maiden
Nice thread !

Im a competitive bodybuilder, and almost all my life turn around my food intake. Im 5f10, 216lbs with 6% bodyfat, and i eat 7 meals a day.
Each meal have 40g of carbs and 40gr proteins isolat.

I also train future young police agents in ahuntsic college in montreal, and many are vegan.
I have to build diet plants with only vegan products for them.

The digestion process take a lot of energy and blood.
When you eat a fatty meal, you waste lots of good energy, and this energy will miss for other fonctions, like body articulation balance, injury recover or else

And since a total digestion take from 2 to 4hours, imagine all the energy lost.

The main goal of the human body on earth is not gaining weight or muscles, the main goal is repair and survive. And with your way of eating, your body gain lots of new energy for this.

Cheers for your new alimentation :)
Maiden, Maiden liked this
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!