FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By cyph3r_gfy
Posts:  890
Joined:  Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm
#213873
katya_dog1 wrote:One more thing, eating home-made bread (with natural ingredients e.g. unbleached flour) is not a bad thing.
And for about the cost of 3 loaves of bread, you can buy locally sourced non-gmo wheat and have enough to make 30 loaves of bread! For a little extra they'll even grind it for you.
cyph3r_gfy, cyph3r_gfy liked this
By katya_dog1
Posts:  2412
Joined:  Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:45 pm
#213882
cyph3r_gfy wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:One more thing, eating home-made bread (with natural ingredients e.g. unbleached flour) is not a bad thing.
And for about the cost of 3 loaves of bread, you can buy locally sourced non-gmo wheat and have enough to make 30 loaves of bread! For a little extra they'll even grind it for you.
And can you say CHEAP? :lol:
User avatar
By roarke
Location: 
Posts:  2366
Joined:  Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:11 am
#213891
cyph3r_gfy wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:One more thing, eating home-made bread (with natural ingredients e.g. unbleached flour) is not a bad thing.
And for about the cost of 3 loaves of bread, you can buy locally sourced non-gmo wheat and have enough to make 30 loaves of bread! For a little extra they'll even grind it for you.
Doesen't matter. All flour is made by removing the outer shell of the seed. Try not to eat bread. All is left from the flour is sugar, not the minerals. Fro a year and some months, i eat only oatmeal instead of bread.
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#214016
try not to eat bread because it's all sugar (carbs)? so what? carbs aren't bad for you?
not to mention, bread also contains protein, calcium, iron, and you can buy wholemeal products which retain more nutritional... junk
of course, oats, sweet potato, wholemeal, all that stuff is probably better for you, i know from experience oats will give you energy for a longer time, but carbs aren't bad for you, but i think avoiding something because it contains carbs is stupid, i think most people who avoid bread do so because it contains gluten
By cyph3r_gfy
Posts:  890
Joined:  Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm
#214079
I don't exactly agree with the statement that flour is bad. Not all things are equal. The current big-agro process of refining wheat into flour is what makes flour bad. Added to that is that 90% of all wheat grown in the US is genetically modified, irradiated and saturated with chemicals... combined with all the 'filler' added in today's breads are the reason you should avoid bought breads.

However: Non-GMO wheat berries, grown organically are loaded with nutrients and benefits you'd be hard pressed to find from any other single source. There is also research going into whether people with ciliac disease (gluten intolerance essentially) can benefit from the natural alternative to big-agro wheat / wheat flour. You're also in complete control of what is added to your bread during the baking process.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By cyph3r_gfy
Posts:  890
Joined:  Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm
#214080
I'm over simplifying this but check it out:

5lb of hard wheat berries: 12$
5lb of berries, grinds into about 22 cups of flour.
22 cups of flour makes 10 loaves of bread +/- 1 loaf.

10 loaves of store bought bread: anywhere from $20 to $50

The cost savings alone should get you up out of your seat. Which only gets bigger the more you buy.

5lb bag $12 - 10 loaves - $20 to $50 in store
25lb bag $34 - 50 loaves - $100 to $250 in store
50lb bag $63 - 100 loaves - $200 to $500 in store

Stored properly, wheat berries have a shelf life of many years!
cyph3r_gfy, cyph3r_gfy liked this
User avatar
By roarke
Location: 
Posts:  2366
Joined:  Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:11 am
#214086
The current big-agro process of refining wheat into flour is what makes flour bad.
Yes, and bio and eco are manipulatory words. Why not call a potato or GMO potato ? Simple.
By katya_dog1
Posts:  2412
Joined:  Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:45 pm
#214103
Roarke, remember that processing is what changes many things from healthy to very un-healthy. It is not flour itself, necessarily, but the processing, additives, and other things that change it for the worse.

And I would also like to point out that your statement that all that is left is sugar is incorrect. Just because wheat has been ground up and the husk discarded does not make it all of a sudden bad, it often has minerals added BACK. I am not saying that this is the best thing, but at least the minerals are still there, right? Flour is a commodity almost, in terms of baking. Are you saying that you should avoid everything that has flour in it?
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#214129
cyph3r_gfy wrote:I'm over simplifying this but check it out:

5lb of hard wheat berries: 12$
5lb of berries, grinds into about 22 cups of flour.
22 cups of flour makes 10 loaves of bread +/- 1 loaf.

10 loaves of store bought bread: anywhere from $20 to $50

The cost savings alone should get you up out of your seat. Which only gets bigger the more you buy.

5lb bag $12 - 10 loaves - $20 to $50 in store
25lb bag $34 - 50 loaves - $100 to $250 in store
50lb bag $63 - 100 loaves - $200 to $500 in store

Stored properly, wheat berries have a shelf life of many years!
kind of a flawed logic really
it would take at least 1 hour to prepare ingredients, and knead the dough, not to mention leaving it to rise, and later on cooking it, and taking it out of the oven, probably a good hour and a half of your day to do that (it would also mean you had to stick around during the cooking phase, and you wouldnt be able to start doing something, without being interrupted after 40 minutes), unless you have expencive machinery to help you knead & grind the flour
assuming someones time is worth $20/hour (maybe less in america xD), that's $30 worth of time AT LEAST from a loaf of bread, and alot of people just dont want to waste free time making bread xD
i'd rather pay 30-50% more than lose an hour or so out of my day to make bread lol
most of my bread comes from wholemeal lebanese wraps, the normal bread i eat is from an organic farmhouse wholemeal anyway
also, i kinda have a hard time believing you could get those organic wheat berries in alot of countries as readily as you might be able to in the US
By katya_dog1
Posts:  2412
Joined:  Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:45 pm
#214181
Mufasa wrote:
cyph3r_gfy wrote:I'm over simplifying this but check it out:

5lb of hard wheat berries: 12$
5lb of berries, grinds into about 22 cups of flour.
22 cups of flour makes 10 loaves of bread +/- 1 loaf.

10 loaves of store bought bread: anywhere from $20 to $50

The cost savings alone should get you up out of your seat. Which only gets bigger the more you buy.

5lb bag $12 - 10 loaves - $20 to $50 in store
25lb bag $34 - 50 loaves - $100 to $250 in store
50lb bag $63 - 100 loaves - $200 to $500 in store

Stored properly, wheat berries have a shelf life of many years!
kind of a flawed logic really
it would take at least 1 hour to prepare ingredients, and knead the dough, not to mention leaving it to rise, and later on cooking it, and taking it out of the oven, probably a good hour and a half of your day to do that (it would also mean you had to stick around during the cooking phase, and you wouldnt be able to start doing something, without being interrupted after 40 minutes), unless you have expencive machinery to help you knead & grind the flour
assuming someones time is worth $20/hour (maybe less in america xD), that's $30 worth of time AT LEAST from a loaf of bread, and alot of people just dont want to waste free time making bread xD
i'd rather pay 30-50% more than lose an hour or so out of my day to make bread lol
most of my bread comes from wholemeal lebanese wraps, the normal bread i eat is from an organic farmhouse wholemeal anyway
also, i kinda have a hard time believing you could get those organic wheat berries in alot of countries as readily as you might be able to in the US
I disagree with the "expensive machinery" part. A bread machine, like what we have got, costs 250 USD. That is for the absolute best you can get. Now, as you said, if making bread is 30 Dollars of your time, you would pay this off much more quickly. Keep in mind that this machine kneads, rises, and a carnivorous plant store. The only human intervention is when the ingredients are put in. I think that it is not a bad price to pay, especially for what you get. As to grinding the wheat berries, a food processor or blender works great.
By cyph3r_gfy
Posts:  890
Joined:  Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm
#214183
I did start with, I'm over simplifying it...

I also, already hand make just about everything... I spend my weekends doing all the prep work (all my food) for the week ahead.
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#214188
Ah, in my country, i'm fairly sure $250-300 would be the absolute minimum for a bread machine

i was assuming kneading dough (or dough mixer), placing it in over, watching over it etc, ugh

also, $250 isn't exactly a cheap appliance, maybe it pays itself off over a year (maybe not), but it's still an investment (i see alot of people buying $300 juicers, blenders, kneaders, ice cream makers etc, then never using them)

i sometimes make wholemeal bagels, which make a mess and take a long time to make, but they taste so good &_&
By katya_dog1
Posts:  2412
Joined:  Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:45 pm
#214213
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that an Australian dollar is more than an American dollar, but minimum wage here is like seven bucks. And obviously, you have to use a machine like that to pay it off, but who would buy something like that when it makes everything so much easier, and then never use it?
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#214215
makes buying bread easier? xD
australian dollars are worth less than american dollars now (and currently dropping #_#)
My family borrowed a bread maker years ago, made really nice bread (the dough came in dry packets though, i'm sure it would be simple to make your own)
in my case i think it would take a long time to pay for itself since i really don't eat much bread products anyway, most of the stuff i do eat is flat bread/lebanese bread (or rarely homemade bagels... idk why these aren't a thing in australia :|)

just curious, what everyones personal distates/opinions on bread products is?
do you avoid them because they contain gluten, don't care, avoid them because they are GMO/non organic (or organic non gmo is expencive)
does anyone have any particular stances on this stuff?
By cyph3r_gfy
Posts:  890
Joined:  Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm
#214219
This borrowed list pretty much sums up my reasons:

Today, five ingredients you want to avoid in store brought bread:

Partially hydrogenated oils – yes, the evil trans-fat lurk in the bread aisle too. Make sure they don’t make the jump to your shopping cart.

Potassium bromate – used as a dough conditioner. (Reminder: dough conditioners (1) shorten dough rising times (2) increase shelf life, and (3) make the dough easier for their machinery to process). Potassium bromate is harmful in its raw form, but disappears during the baking process. Unless some of it doesn’t. Europe, Canada, and many other countries have banned the use of this additive.

Azodicarbonamide – a popular dough conditioner. As a side benefit, it also bleaches the flour (makes it whiter). It’s considered safe in the US at up to 45 parts per million, but is banned from use in Europe because studies showed it could cause asthma or allergic reactions.

DATEM – an acronym for Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Monoglycerides. Another dough conditioner used to improve volume and uniformity. It is considered safe by the FDA, but a study in 2002, on rats, showed “heart muscle fibrosis and adrenal overgrowth”.

Artificial colors – you’d be surprised but some breads include artificial colors.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
N. Gaya and N. x Ventrata

Thanks for your reply, I’ve only just got th[…]

WTB Heliamphora

Whew I looked it up and that is a beautiful plant […]

The best Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss

I’ve said this a couple times before, but th[…]

Five years after my first post in this thread I'[…]

Epiphytic utrics, Drosera for sale

how would you grow utricularia humboltii? I'm inte[…]

An Ant Invasion!

Sorry guys, haven't been on in awhile. @Dr Green[…]

Maxsea

I can trade a pinguicula agnata for the maxsea. ca[…]

Growing Vlt in Michigan

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to growing vft a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!