FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By Daniel_G
So, you wanna' grow a Darlingtonia?

Well, by the sounds of it, it's a hard job for you Americans, but I hope I can help by telling you how I grow mine.
Of course, different people will have different opinions, and many people may be at my throat for this guide, because I don't grow my cobras like most other people. I'm not all fussy with it, in fact, I'm not really that bothered. It just grows...

First things first
The plant. There are two types, the Mountain variety, and the Coastal variety. I know absolutely nothing about the coastal variety. I don't even know where to get one!

The soil, basically the first thing actually, but oh well

Some may prescribe weird and wacky mixes such as this I just found on the ICPS website.
2 parts chopped long fibered North American Sphagnum moss, 1 part peat moss, 1 part fine orchid bark, and 2 parts washed pumice.

I mean, really? Why all the faffing around?
40/60 peat and perlite, with a nice top dressing of live Sphagnum. Job done.

Water

Lots! Oh boy, lots and lots.
In the growing season, mine get flooded every week, in the summer, they get flooded every week, and topped up slightly every day. These guys love a good bit of water, especially in the summer.
In the winter, much less. Water little by little, every five days or so. Not even that sometimes. Of course, make sure the water is below 50 PPM. You may use RO (Reverse Osmosis) Distilled, or rain water. If you're lucky like me, you can use your tap water instead.

Ice?!?!

Yet more faffing around.
I have tried this once. It was 40C in the greenhouse. Some plants were given ice, other not. I saw no difference in growth, or any stunting. Because of this, I don't bother with ice cubes. I just water a lot.

Sun

So, you've been taught that Carnivorous plants love sun, give them the strong afternoon sun, and everything else, even if it's scorching. At least, that's true of the Flytraps and Sarracenia.
With Cobras, not so. Mine have never seen the afternoon sun. They're kept in partial shade all year round, and they grow fine (7 stolons this year) They even develop nice reds.
So yeah, no full sun, only dappled light, and no afternoon sun unless you're using shading. Of course, give it a fair few hours every day of this dappled light.

Heat
Okay.
Don't let things get extremely hot. 40c can be tolerated for short amounts of time, but anything above that for any long length of time will endanger, or even kill your plant.

As for cold. Well, these can take temperatures down to -17c, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. In winter, 10c to -2c is much more reasonable.
Or course, you can't just take a plant from 25c every day down to -2c. That would be mad, and would stunt the plants growth.

What pot?

The answer is varied. Some use regular pots, net pots, or terra-cotta pots.
I use cat-litter trays, with no drainage whatsoever. Be sure to keep in mind that these plants don't grow far downwards at all, the three inches or so that the cat litter tray provides more than enough space. The main point is that it has a foot or so of space for runners (Stolons)

Re-pot?
A simple answer. Every three years or so, and when you do, take the chance to remove any stolons, and re-pot any that have become independent plants.

That's about it, a fairly good overview of general care.

You'll notice I didn't go into feeding. That's because I don't feed my plant, I let them catch their own.
So there you have it, a small, simple guide to growing Darlingtonia.
P.S
These are my methods. I recognise that there a plenty of guides out there, and a very nice guide on this forum. However since plenty of people are still having trouble, I made this.

Daniel Galley
Last edited by Daniel_G on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel_G, Daniel_G, Daniel_G and 5 others liked this
By jwbates26
Thanks Daniel. I've read a lot of care instructions on these and agree with you that they make these plants out to be more difficult then they are. Lots of water, loose/airy, soil and a decent amount of light. I hope this helps people grow these plants. Their one of my favorites.
jwbates26 liked this
By bannister
Thanks for this guide. I agree with pretty much everything you say. I did read up a lot about them online but made my own conclusions.

My setup:
  • 5 inch glazed white pot, 5 inch deep, with drainage hole
    Potting media, I wrap the roots with NZLFSM, surrounded by 1:1 peat/perlite and chopped up NZLFSM
    Top dressing of live (red) sphagnum moss
    Distilled water, no ice cubes (plus, it would kill the live top moss and turn it white)
    Extra water collects in a tray on top of an ice pack (which cools the water), I re-water with this anytime I walk by the plant and have time (this is my version of replicating flowing water)
    Indoor temperature remains consistent for now at 70-75 degrees, will put near cold window during dormancy time
    Sun is bright (600W equivalent total) CFLs for 12+ hours a day.
I've only had it for less than a month and it's already growing a couple of new traps! It's so exciting, considering people make it seem like it's so difficult to grow.
Last edited by bannister on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!