FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Gringo
Hello

Some time ago I have started to think about setting up a small Dionaea collection...but I have absolutely no interest in cultivars and similar stuff... I was wondering - is it possible to buy a real Dionaea muscipula plant with a specified location? I know that it's possible to buy Sarracenias with location, but what about the Venus flytraps? Any suggestion? Where can I buy such plants?
By LeejohnD
With location? Dionaea really only grow in a very small place in the wild....so you just want a typical? Either that or a unique seed grown...
By Jaws
Hope this aint a request for a "wild " plant
By Gringo
I don't want to buy a wild, poached plant...I was just wondering if it's possible to buy some legally obtained seeds with a known location.
By parker679
I think because of the status of the plants in the wild and the fact that VFT's are widely tissue cultured and propagated in private/commercial collections there really aren't any plants from wild collected seed because there isn't a need for it.

I doubt you'll find anything with location data but if you're looking for something that's as close to a wild Dionaea as possible a typical is what you want. Mass produced typicals were still bred at some point to get traits that make them hardy and vigorous but that's as close to a wild plant as you'll get in looks and growth habit.

Also keep in mind that there is going to be a genetic diversity even among wild plants so there really isn't such a thing as a "real Dionaea". Obviously you probably won't see any of the extreme looking cultivars in the wild but I bet if you spent enough time you'd see a lot of dente, red traps, and large traps. After all, all the cultivars you see now are the descendants of wild plants.
By Tony C
There is only one location, so by default every flytrap is from a known locale. There are no (natural) disjunct populations or regional variants like you find in Sarracenia.
Tony C liked this
By parker679
Tony C wrote:There is only one location, so by default every flytrap is from a known locale. There are no (natural) disjunct populations or regional variants like you find in Sarracenia.
:D LoL, good point.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!