a REAL Dionaea?

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones
Gringo

a REAL Dionaea?

by Gringo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello

Some time ago I have started to think about setting up a small Dionaea collection...but I have absolutely no interest in cultivars and similar stuff... I was wondering - is it possible to buy a real Dionaea muscipula plant with a specified location? I know that it's possible to buy Sarracenias with location, but what about the Venus flytraps? Any suggestion? Where can I buy such plants?

LeejohnD

Re: a REAL Dionaea?

by LeejohnD » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:26 pm

With location? Dionaea really only grow in a very small place in the wild....so you just want a typical? Either that or a unique seed grown...

Jaws

by Jaws » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Hope this aint a request for a "wild " plant

Tony C

by Tony C » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Venus flytraps come from a small area on the NC/SC coast, there are no distinct populations like those of Sarracenia. Any seed grown typical would be a "real" Dionaea.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq7350.html

Gringo

by Gringo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't want to buy a wild, poached plant...I was just wondering if it's possible to buy some legally obtained seeds with a known location.

parker679
Super User

by parker679 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I think because of the status of the plants in the wild and the fact that VFT's are widely tissue cultured and propagated in private/commercial collections there really aren't any plants from wild collected seed because there isn't a need for it.

I doubt you'll find anything with location data but if you're looking for something that's as close to a wild Dionaea as possible a typical is what you want. Mass produced typicals were still bred at some point to get traits that make them hardy and vigorous but that's as close to a wild plant as you'll get in looks and growth habit.

Also keep in mind that there is going to be a genetic diversity even among wild plants so there really isn't such a thing as a "real Dionaea". Obviously you probably won't see any of the extreme looking cultivars in the wild but I bet if you spent enough time you'd see a lot of dente, red traps, and large traps. After all, all the cultivars you see now are the descendants of wild plants.

Tony C

by Tony C » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:48 pm

There is only one location, so by default every flytrap is from a known locale. There are no (natural) disjunct populations or regional variants like you find in Sarracenia.

The following users would like to thank Tony C for this post
parker679

parker679
Super User

by parker679 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Tony C wrote:There is only one location, so by default every flytrap is from a known locale. There are no (natural) disjunct populations or regional variants like you find in Sarracenia.

:D LoL, good point.

Return to Venus Fly Trap General Discussions