FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Lock
Hello to everyone here at FTC.com. I'm Lock, I'm from Blue Ridge, GA, and I'm currently living in Woodstock, GA. Around Sept. 24th, I bought a five dollar VFT from Home Depot to have something to take care of. I had had one as a kid, but it. . . died. I got it (the new one) home, potted it in a clay pot full of peat, and set it in a tray of water to sit in the sun. After reading almost every VFT care page on this site (which is of a surprisingly high caliber, by the way), I found out my peat had been tainted with nutrients, so I need to go back to the store and pick up some better peat and probably some silica sand as well. Despite my poor peat quality, the little plant is thriving (though for how long this will last, I cannot say). I've been taking pictures every week or so, and I will be continuing this practice. I'll try to upload the most recent pictures. When I first got it, it was small and entirely green. Now it's sprouting new traps like there's no tomorrow, and I'm definitely starting to see pink colors inside some of the newer mouths. I hadn't expected that this small little plant would amaze me as much as it has, nor that it would toss me into an online feeding frenzy of Carnivorous Plant information. We'll see where this new hobby takes me.

Also, is it a good idea to post pictures on the website? If so, what kinds of pictures (and in what quantities/frequencies)? How do I post them (outside of forum posts)?

Awwww. I just found out my pictures are too large to post here. Any help on this situation (or any growing tips in general) would be greatly appreciated. I've never posted on a forum before - *cringes* be gentle.
By jwbates26
You can search any picture resizer in Google and use that then post it in your threads.

Sounds like you've read some good info. While you're picking up new material you may grab a plastic pot that's close to 6" deep. Clay pots aren't the best for carnivorous plants. There really isn't any order or quality of pictures require. We have anywhere from cell phone pics to high dollar cameras being used.

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid of asking questions.
By Lock
I found a way to shrink the pictures! Also, I've noticed that very few people have VFTs with as many sprouting traps as mine. Why is that? Is it just different genetics, or is it that the plant didn't have enough energy to develop fewer (but larger) traps at the store? It couldn't possibly be that at this age the plant is ready to split into other plants. . . Could it? Does anyone have any opinions or ideas about this?
Attachments:
DSC01021.jpg
DSC01021.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
I believe that this is the picture that shows good pink coloration in the traps. Look at the two traps on the lower right hand side.
I believe that this is the picture that shows good pink coloration in the traps. Look at the two traps on the lower right hand side.
DSC01018.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
DSC01015.jpg
DSC01015.jpg (126.93 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
afg.jpg
afg.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (153.23 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
By Lock
More than one plant!? I'm overflowing with excitement! What should I do? I will most likely be repotting it into a better pot with better peat and sand today, so should I split the rhizome between pots? Or should I wait until next spring? I figure I've got about a month of time left here in GA before killer frosts come, so perhaps splitting now and letting the multiple plants develop some roots before dormancy is best? I think I'm going to need to do refrigerator dormancy since temperatures in GA winter's commonly dip below 32F at night/morning. Thoughts or tips in regard to this? Thanks for letting me know about the multiple plant thing! This is such good news.
By pieguy452
Welcome!!! If you are repotting soon then you might as well do it then, but it doesn't really matter whether you split the divisions now or later :)

Reading this page may be helpful if your are considering fridge dormancy.
pieguy452 liked this
By Lock
Hey, Pieguy452. I did end up splitting that plant. All of the divisions are doing quite well, and I've decided on doing a regular indoor dormancy. I'm going to try to get some lights for the Winter since they're so small. They've been potted for about four days, and I haven't had any of them die.

The full story of the divisions' development is detailed in this thread - http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/newly ... 17346.html

Thanks for the post! -Lock

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!