FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Dionae wrote:You have some of the best macro shots.
They sure are. Those are beautiful macros, PeatMoss!
By PeatMoss
Thanks!

So I went out and bought a polarizing filter for my macro lens, apparently it will reduce unwanted reflections and make my pics look a bit more "contrasty" or whatever. I like it so far, makes the pics look better if I have it on the right setting.

I also got a little infrared remote trigger so I don't have to wait ten seconds for the delayed timer to work.

D. capensis "red":

D. adelae again:

Proof I grow something other than Drosera, N. veitchii:

Thanks for looking!
PeatMoss liked this
By Darkrai283
I'm loving the pictures Peatmoss!
PeatMoss wrote:So I went out and bought a polarizing filter for my macro lens, apparently it will reduce unwanted reflections and make my pics look a bit more "contrasty" or whatever. I like it so far, makes the pics look better if I have it on the right setting.
I take my "macro" pictures with a regular 18-55 lens on my Canon EOS 550D with all '+1', '+2', '+4', '+10' macro filters and a 'UV' filter combined and screwed onto the lens. Compared to an actual macro lens, the picture quality is not that great but I'm going to have to endure with it until I can save up for one!

The kit came with '+1', '+2', '+4', '+10' macro filters and 'UV', 'CPL' (polarising) and 'FLD' filters for only £12! Great offer for people on a low budget and can't afford proper macro lenses! (like me... I'm still 13) :lol:

TBH, I haven't used the CPL or FLD filters yet!
They're still in the case they came in! XD I think I'm going to try out the CPL attached to the combination after looking at your pictures, I hope it 'constrasts' the colours in the image as you said! :lol:
By PeatMoss
Thanks!

Sounds like quite a good deal! Do you attach them all at the same time in order to get maximum magnification? Why do you keep the UV filter on top of everything? You should also try out the "FLD" filter, apparently it will remove the greenish hue that is cast by fluorescent lighting. Just to point out, I also edit my photos quite heavily after uploading to my computer. I usually crop, contrast, increase saturation, definition and sharpness. This usually gives me a photo quality I like. If you try editing pics I suggest you try shooting on RAW mode so that the images are saved in RAW format instead of JPEG. Apparently JPEG format pics lose a small amount of quality every time they are saved so RAW images make for better edited photos since they don't lose any quality, but the file sizes are a bit larger. I also suggest a tripod for macro photos to avoid shakiness plus I always get focus and proper Fstop and shutterspeed then use either a self timer or remote trigger to set it off so that my hands on the camera don't make it shake.

The guy at the camera store recommended the most expensive filter because apparently the cheaper quality ones can reduce the overall image quality (which does not really matter if you have a good camera, I am just a bit of a quality nut :D ). I ended up spending $71 on the filter which was a bit steep but I like that it does not seem to reduce the photo quality. I also considered it a good investment as I enjoy zoo photography a lot so I end up taking lots of pics through the glass. This should eliminate the unwanted reflections that normally stifle my photographic creativity.
PeatMoss liked this
By Darkrai283
I always use a velbon df-50 tripod to take macro pictures and a 2 second shutter timer so Idont shake the camera when the shutter is released.

I once heard that the UV filter was the best overall so I decided to screw it on and never take it off unless it's necessary when I got the camera. Also, if I accidentally drop the camera (I highly doubt I ever will because I keep the neck strap on) and if it lands on the lens, the filter might smash/shatter but the actual lens itself should be ok. It's easier to replace a cheap filter than an expensive lens! :lol:
By PeatMoss
Good idea to use the filter as a shield, also helps keep the lens clean. Does your filter allow for the lens cap to be snapped on top of it or do you have to keep the lens cap off? I have to leave the lens cap off for mine so I remove the filter, plus the filter decreases the shutter speed so I don't always want to use it for handheld shooting.
By Darkrai283
PeatMoss wrote:Good idea to use the filter as a shield, also helps keep the lens clean. Does your filter allow for the lens cap to be snapped on top of it or do you have to keep the lens cap off?
I can 'snap' the lens cap on top of the filter.
By PeatMoss
And guess what! I am back!

The plants seem to have taken to their new conditions although I still need to find and install some new fans.

Just two pics, the only ones that turned out.

Byblis seedlings are getting bigger:

D. burmanii "beerwah, australia":
PeatMoss liked this
By CPnoob
Absolutely gorgeous work and a growlist that is remarkable
By CPnoob
:(... I'll get a Nepenthes one day!
By PeatMoss
More plants!

Baby flytrap:

Raff var. alata:

N. veitchii tendril:

D. burmanii "typical"

D. "dielsiana" has glandular stalks:

D. capillaris "belem" flowahstalk:

D. capillaris "belem":

Thanks for looking!
PeatMoss, PeatMoss liked this

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!