FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nauz
ImageImageImage

Dark typical I've got growing. Would be a challenge to one currently registered in ICPS. :P
Nauz, Nauz, Nauz liked this
By Nauz
Matt wrote:Cephalotus "Nauz Purple" :?: :D
Haha has a nice ring to it.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
how long have you been growing that guy? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Nauz
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote:

It's about two years old.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote: Haha has a nice ring to it.

Do you fertilize

By Nauz
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote:how long have you been growing that guy? :)

Do you fertilize

I sure do.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote: It's about two years old.
Do you fertilize

I sure do.
I've been using a diluted max sea for foliar fertilizing and a diluted orchid fertilizer for the trap (not plural because mine only has one, but two more on the way)!!! What about you? You obviously have it down (as we've discussed before haha)

By Nauz
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote: Do you fertilize

I sure do.
I've been using a diluted max sea for foliar fertilizing and a diluted orchid fertilizer for the trap (not plural because mine only has one, but two more on the way)!!! What about you? You obviously have it down (as we've discussed before haha)

Well for awhile I did maxsea in the pitchers one or twice a month. Now I'm diluting it in a spray bottle and spraying the plants. They get saturated vary well all over foliage, in pitchers and a bit on the dressing. The next day I will top flood with distilled water. I do this once a month but I skipped September. I might do it soon or just start again next month. Still kinda feeling it not trying to over do fertilizer and stuff.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote: I sure do.

Well for awhile I did maxsea in the pitchers one or twice a month. Now I'm diluting it in a spray bottle and spraying the plants. They get saturated vary well all over foliage, in pitchers and a bit on the dressing. The next day I will top flood with distilled water. I do this once a month but I skipped September. I might do it soon or just start again next month. Still kinda feeling it not trying to over do fertilizer and stuff.
Same here basically, except I avoid maxsea in the pitchers and do a few drops of the orchid fertilizer in the pitcher. I think it's working well. You remember what it looks like before, right? ImageImage

By Nauz
tannerm wrote:.
I sure do the coloration is looking vary nice, are you using urea free orchid fertilizer? I really like that plant and now your seeing a new pitcher can't wait for it to have a full set of pitchers. Don't be alarmed if you don't see it produce any non carnivorous leaves. All my plants will do that and only put them out if lighting is vary low in specific locations like when a new crown develops and try's to protrude out of the ground from roots.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
I sure do the coloration is looking vary nice, are you using urea free orchid fertilizer? I really like that plant and now your seeing a new pitcher can't wait for it to have a full set of pitchers. Don't be alarmed if you don't see it produce any non carnivorous leaves. All my plants will do that and only put them out if lighting is vary low in specific locations like when a new crown develops and try's to protrude out of the ground from roots.
It colored up really well - thanks for all the great advice! I know, I hope it goes crazy like yours! Also, I was wondering why I could never see any regular leaves with yours (I kind of like them to be honest).

Not sure about that; what's urea? If it's normally in orchid food, probably not. Just for a generic 20-20-20. Works well for nepenthes and the helis love it too! Image
(I basically have a lifetime supply - HAHAH)

By Nauz
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote:
I sure do the coloration is looking vary nice, are ..........e a lifetime supply - HAHAH)

Quoted from an article out of ICPS "Urea is not directly usable by plants and needs to be broken down by bacteria to be effective." Here is the article "http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ ... mphora.php". Not sure if more research has been done on it at all though. So basically if you fertilizer has urea nitrogen, unless your pitcher has bacteria in it then it won't absorb the nitrogen at all and will be wasted.
By tannerm
Nauz wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Nauz wrote: I sure do the coloration is looking vary nice, are ..........e a lifetime supply - HAHAH)

Quoted from an article out of ICPS "Urea is not directly usable by plants and needs to be broken down by bacteria to be effective." Here is the article "http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ ... mphora.php". Not sure if more research has been done on it at all though. So basically if you fertilizer has urea nitrogen, unless your pitcher has bacteria in it then it won't absorb the nitrogen at all and will be wasted.
Interesting. How do I tell, would it be listed on the label?

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!