FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Tarzanus
Did anyone try growing with plants something like that?
I'm really thinking about buying a couple of these led chips and try it instead of my cool/warm white LED combo.

If someone tried and it doesn't perform well, please let me know. If not, I'll have to test them myself. :) :lol:
By Tarzanus
Just to let you guys (that are interested) know, I received the chips and replaced two LEDs with the purple grow LEDs. It seems to be working. Unbelievably well if I may add.

Here are some photos of what difference the new light made in just 14 days.
My bamboo seedlings also love the new setup.
Tarzanus liked this
By Tarzanus
As easy as I could. Didn't want to make things complicated. :)

I used the same computer PSU as before, Molex computer connector and short cable to connect the chips to the PSU. I used Chinese Aliexpress el-cheapo 12V to 30V converter to convert 12V power from power supply into 30V. You have to make sure it's connected correctly, if it is, it should work as soon as you crank up the voltage over 25V and something. I think it's the cheapest solution. I'm thinking about building a bit more sophisticated light in the future. I also used panels painted white to keep the light around the plants. It seems to work. :)
By Sander
As i am in the process of researching lights for my terrarium, what distance are they from your plants and what area are you illuminating with them?
By Beaver746
Tarzanus do you have a link to the cheaper led lights you are using? I'm planing to get some soon and wanted to compare lights. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Sander
Beaver746 wrote:Tarzanus do you have a link to the cheaper led lights you are using? I'm planing to get some soon and wanted to compare lights. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321822518554?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The ones i ordered at (i ordered a 10w to test in my current terrarium).
The 50W one is 60% cheaper than the one in post nr. 1
By Beaver746
Ok thanks, 9 dollars for grow lights isn't that bad! Your website about your setup is very helpful too, so thanks for that too. I'll also post some pictures of my setup when I get it done to see what you guys think!

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!