FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Feline Ferocity
So i got my first ever VFTs, Sundews and Tinas in September of this year and three of my five VFTs have started to grow stalks (seeds/flowers?) my Cape Sundew has a very long flower/seed stalk going on and one of my Butterworts has just started to grow a flower/seed stalk too!!

I have taken some photos and such, also... i am extremely impressed at how big my traps have gotten... i've not even repotted any of them yet and was planning on maybe starting the dormancy period but now i have no idea what to do lol

Here are some photos with a 30cm ruler so you can get sizes on traps and stalks!!

Apologise for my gnarly thumb nail lol
Feline Ferocity liked this
By Feline Ferocity
Aww noooooo lol!

Just out of curiosity, what if i left the VFT stalks till they flowered and spread their seed?

also my biggest traps are an inch wide (maybe a slight bit bigger) when open, ready to catch bugs
By MrsMuscipula
If you let them flower, they may not have much energy left to go through winter dormancy. Flowering takes lots of energy for the plant, and doing so this late in the season will be especially rough on them. Traps will not grow as big. Growth in general will not be very vigorous.
MrsMuscipula liked this
By Atilla
I've the same dilemma, actually. My biggest plant grew wider leaves and smaller traps, as usual for dormancy, but it has now decided to also flower. For the second time this year. The last time was very early in the year, still in dormancy period so I had to snip them off. I know the timing is not optimal, but I was thinking of leaving it to grow this time.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!